• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

Good morning,

I'm trying to validate the kill step in our batch roaster process and am having a difficult time finding a data logger that will measure an appropriate temperature range.  We do small batch nut roasting and the oil roasting processes time temperature parameters for our product quality specifications greatly exceed the requirements to achieve a 5 log reduction in salmonella.  However dry roasting has a much higher time requirement since air does not transfer heat as effectively as liquid.  Our dry roaster is a drum model rather than a belt model and I do not believe the temperature readout on the controller is reading the internal temperature of the nuts as the roast color should correlate much more closely with the log reduction than the figure I am calculating using that data.   Does anyone have data logger recommendation to buy or possible even rent as we only need to validate one piece of equipment that would be appropriate for this type of process?

Edited by KMA, 08 January 2020 - 02:46 PM.

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

Hi, KMA;

Sounds like you need a wireless logger for your process. Here is what I have used in the past which is an excellent product and software:

Madgetech

Thermoworks also has wireless loggers which I have not used, however I do use a two channel wired thermocouple logger which I have used for my thermal process studies.

For an internal temp you will need some analogous buffer, but not sure what that would be for your product. I have used hi-temp silicon rubber in the past

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users