• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do people staple the test strips to their verification logs?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Sdurbanfarmer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:26 AM

Hi All,

I was wondering if folks were keeping test strips when they are recording say Chlorine or PAA? In other industries I have worked in we would staple test strips from autoclaves to show that it specifically got to temperature and pressure for the allotted time. Do people staple the test strips to their verification logs?

Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:08 AM

Hi All,

I was wondering if folks were keeping test strips when they are recording say Chlorine or PAA? In other industries I have worked in we would staple test strips from autoclaves to show that it specifically got to temperature and pressure for the allotted time. Do people staple the test strips to their verification logs?

Thanks!

For Chlorine, personally never. I suppose one could keep photos if sufficiently interested.

Claimed results have never been auditorially questioned or validations requested (most chlorine test papers are only approximate anyway ? - need to titrate or use DPD tablets for more precise values).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mahantesh.micro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 88 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety Standards, Specification developments, Procedures
    Other interests are- cricket and indoor games

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:24 AM

Autoclave test strips! yes we do but i dont think it is required to staple chlorine test strip to the log.

LesleySR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

We used to keep timed/dated photographs of allergen strip results to verify absence of allergens on production equipment (but this was a requirement from the finished product customer) so I suppose it depends on how much "proof" you need, whether PAA/Chlorine wash is a CCP and if you have had historic issues with a failure in this area?

Thanked by 1 Member:

csesc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:32 PM

hi! we keep gluten and soya strips after analysis.

Regards

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

I would be concerned about fading of the color indicator on the strips.  More ideal to take a picture if you really want to show the proof.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:56 PM

I would be concerned about fading of the color indicator on the strips.  More ideal to take a picture if you really want to show the proof.

Agreed. I can't speak for all test strips, but I do know that allergen test strips will fade over time. pH strips I've worked with will also do the same. This would cause concern using this method as proof. 3 months down the road, I can imagine the confusion there would be when the indicators no longer present the same results because of fading.

I've never had anyone question our results. I always kept a log of test results (pass vs. fail), which allergen protein failed, and what piece of equipment it failed on. I would also keep record of re-tests. That always worked for my auditors, but as they say, pictures are worth a thousand words.

ShaunD

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

Certain UK retailers suggest keeping the used allergen test kits for 6 months as well as photographic evidence. But as stated above and below, the detection lines will disappear. 

"The following points should be followed as best practice when using RLFD’s:
• Write the date on the individual test kit if possible.
• Photograph the RLFD as the ‘detection lines’ will disappear.
• Save photographs and actual used kits for 6 months."

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users