• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:57 AM

Hi all, 

Can anyone please provide me some examples of Action Criteria of OPRP? Especially for allergen management, if it is considered as an OPRP. 

Thanks, all. Have a great day!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

Hi all, 

Can anyone please provide me some examples of Action Criteria of OPRP? Especially for allergen management, if it is considered as an OPRP. 

Thanks, all. Have a great day!

Not a user of iso22000 but I anticipate that allergen management is unlikely to be an OPRP since iso22002-1 includes it as a PRP.

Regarding iso22000/OPRPs in general, here is an extract from a review on the IT which mostly concurs with my own opinion -

The irony of the ISO 22000:2018 standard revision is that, the standard has kept segregation of CCP and OPRP as mystery yet or most ambiguous puzzle yet as it was kept for last 13 years. Anyway, they have cleaned up the idea somewhat and some of the previous words were taken off while adding few more, but they have failed to simplify it, where it is our speculation that, even the expert panel may not have fundamental agreement or complete understanding of how they are exactly segregate CCPs and OPRPs. Thus, they have kept adding more and more parameters to the CODEX decision tree model but they haven’t clear it with a proper generic model such as a decision tree or a decision table or any other method while keeping the ball in manufacturer’s courtyard. As to the food safety, segregation of CCPs and OPRPs are the most important part of the operation, but after four years of discussions and meetings, it is look like the expert panel has not found any suitable solution to it rather than complexing it for average man to understand.

Also see this post/thread -

https://www.ifsqn.co...18/#entry138153

As far as actual examples of OPRP / "action criteria" are concerned I have yet to see any. Sorry.

PS (added) - this 2019 critical review of the OPRP portion of iso22000;2018 from an established source contains a detailed analytical look at the "new" characteristics of  OPRP and proposes a (very) simplified CCP/OPRP decision tree (actually an old idea from my distant memory and which probably still lacks some of the full requirements but nevertheless .....).

Attached File  iso22000-2018,CCP and OPRP.pdf   522.24KB   331 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 17 January 2020 - 12:33 PM.
added pdf

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

JulietteSafeFood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 83 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 13 June 2020 - 03:19 PM

Hi all, 

I really need examples of action criteria (for "measurable" and "observable") for OPRPs to use in a training manual on ISO 22000 HACCP.

I've noted Charles's comment above "As far as actual examples of OPRP / "action criteria" are concerned I have yet to see any", but I hope someone has an idea for an example that can work in training.

My examples of OPRPs are metal detection and cleaning at a specific point to prevent cross-contamination of allergens

(I found this article by Safefood360 very insightful - https://safefood360....introduction/.)

(I also like the decision tree proposed by FSSC in Dec '19)

Kind regards.

Juliette

Edited by JulietteSafeFood, 13 June 2020 - 03:23 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:54 PM

Hi all, 

I really need examples of action criteria (for "measurable" and "observable") for OPRPs to use in a training manual on ISO 22000 HACCP.

I've noted Charles's comment above "As far as actual examples of OPRP / "action criteria" are concerned I have yet to see any", but I hope someone has an idea for an example that can work in training.

My examples of OPRPs are metal detection and cleaning at a specific point to prevent cross-contamination of allergens

(I found this article by Safefood360 very insightful - https://safefood360....introduction/.)

(I also like the decision tree proposed by FSSC in Dec '19)

Kind regards.

Juliette

Hi Juliette,

Re ^^^^ red

In the specific context of fssc22000.

IMO = CCP, PRP, insufficient, Illogical

Simply illustrates that (as implied by fssc) this is a (highly) subjective topic. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mahantesh.micro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 88 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety Standards, Specification developments, Procedures
    Other interests are- cricket and indoor games

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

HI,

For allergens, if you are managing it by OPRP, then apply action criteria "Present" or "Absent". If allergen is absent then fine, if present, then define your action plans what are you going to do with potentially unsafe product.

You can also apply measurable critical limits for allergen.

As per ISO 22000-2018, it is clearly mention in definition of Action criteria that it is measurable or observable which means either it can be qualitative or quantifiable.

But CCPs should have measurable critical limits.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users