• Quick Navigation
Photo

How far off the ground should squeegees and floor brushes be stored?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

KStewart

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:18 AM

Hi all,

Like the title says, I'm wondering if there is a specific height we should have our squeegees and floor brushes off the floor. We're working to remount some hangers, and I want to make sure they're up high enough. I had heard six inches somewhere, but I can't find anything specific about that now.

Thanks,

Kelly

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

HI Stewart

There is no specific guidance given about how far the off the floor these equipment should b stored. The purpose of storing them off the floor that any remaining liquid and or solid dirt/ containment will drain off and dislodged prior to their next use.

Having said that the real answer to your question is it depends on your cleaning procedures. if you are use gerni in the same area than splash of water during cleaning  can recontaminate the brushes etc.

My best advise is to ensure that cleaning procedure must include a dry cleaning procedure and use of water should be minimise as much as possible.

Preferable store this equipment close to their possible use but not in the area which will be subject to cleaning.

Kind regards

Dr Humaid Khan

Managing Director

Halal International Services

Australia

Thanked by 2 Members:

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:31 AM

Hi Kelly,

If you adhere to any third party scheme or customer requirements I'd have a scan through to check no figure is mentioned, otherwise there is no strict height per se as far as I'm aware.

Looking at BRC for example, from the interpretation of clause 4.11.5:

Equipment must be clearly identified at all times (by colour-coding and/or labelling). This is necessary to ensure that different types of equipment are clearly distinguishable (e.g. floor-cleaning equipment must be distinguishable from items designated for cleaning production equipment). They must also be stored hygienically and in a manner that prevents contamination (e.g. not stored in contact with the floor).

Having a quick google, I notice an extract from "Hygiene Design of Food Factories" recommends the following:
Storage of cleaning equipment should be considered, and if the cleaning equipment is often used wet, it should not be stored in contact with the floor. If wall mounted, the head of the item, e.g. floor brush, should be approx 0.5 m from the floor with the handle above. High risk/high care cleaning equipment should be stored dry or in disinfectant.

I imagine 6 inches would be deemed high enough from the ground to allow the equipment to dry and reduce contamination, but also low enough to reduce contaminating staff PPE shirts or food racks accidentally knocking against it which is worth considering.

Thanked by 1 Member:

AmeliaJacobs

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:59 PM

6 inches is the food standard all of us in the US have had drilled into our heads... Food and food contact must be stored at least 6" off the floor. I had to prove that with documentation once for a particularly dense production leader. He thought it was ok as long as it was on a piece of paper on the floor...

basicit

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 May 2021 - 02:09 PM

jumping on this old thread. floor cleaning equipement when not in use should be hung back up right? 

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 May 2021 - 02:42 PM

jumping on this old thread. floor cleaning equipement when not in use should be hung back up right? 

Depends on the risk associated if you hang or not hang, but they should be returned to their designated storage area when not in use, and should not pose a food or employee safety (tripping) hazard.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users