• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

Hi,I am new to this group.

I have a few questions needing your help for answers?

1. Can anyone help me understand the pro’s and cons of Migration testing Vs Migration Modelling?
  2. What would be the estimate cost difference between the two methods?
  3. What would be the time frame involved for each of the two methods?
  4. What information is needed to be furnished/ gathered if we were to proceed with either one of the two methods?

1. How popular is migration testing for FCM plastics within the OEM industry manufacturing machinery for the food industry these days?

Thanks.

Edited by suhaas, 22 January 2020 - 09:58 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

Hi,I am new to this group.

I have a few questions needing your help for answers?

1. Can anyone help me understand the pro’s and cons of Migration testing Vs Migration Modelling?
  2. What would be the estimate cost difference between the two methods?
  3. What would be the time frame involved for each of the two methods?
  4. What information is needed to be furnished/ gathered if we were to proceed with either one of the two methods?

1. How popular is migration testing for FCM plastics within the OEM industry manufacturing machinery for the food industry these days?

Thanks.

Hi suhaas,

Packaging not my area but I recall the 2 approaches have been previously discussed here if you are willing to do a little searching (ca 10 yrs back). 

IIRC the latter (modelling) approach is not that simple.

Most posts here seem to use former.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MSERC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:47 AM

Hi Charles,

I am new to this forum and struggling to locate the right content in this forum. 

If possible kindly share the links to the previous discussions that you indicated.

I am not looking for migration test results for packaging materials.

I am looking for answers on how to best balance time and cost as a suitable method if an OEM of a food handling machinery has to demonstrate FCM compliance for that plastic part. 

Initial research indicates options might be:

Either Migration testing 

Or Migration Modelling

The said FCM part is manufactured as below:

- manufactured using raw materials recommended for FCM (DoC available)

&

- manufactured (extruded/ moulded) in a 3rd party supplier facility. 

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:12 AM

Hi Charles,

I am new to this forum and struggling to locate the right content in this forum. 

If possible kindly share the links to the previous discussions that you indicated.

I am not looking for migration test results for packaging materials.

I am looking for answers on how to best balance time and cost as a suitable method if an OEM of a food handling machinery has to demonstrate FCM compliance for that plastic part. 

Initial research indicates options might be:

Either Migration testing 

Or Migration Modelling

The said FCM part is manufactured as below:

- manufactured using raw materials recommended for FCM (DoC available)

&

- manufactured (extruded/ moulded) in a 3rd party supplier facility. 

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Hi MSERC,

Thks yr post.

I deduce you are in the general area of these links/attachments albeit not specifically packaging -

https://www.foodpack...ration-modeling

Attached File  BRC,Campden,2015 guidance migration packing materials into food.pdf   938.95KB   27 downloads

Attached File  Guidelines on migration modelling for estimation specific migration,2015.pdf   817.83KB   24 downloads

Attached File  Guidelines compliance testing Re-Plastic FCM Regulation-EU-10-2011.pdf   568.04KB   19 downloads

The above, for me, illustrate only too well what I meant by "non-simple" in my previous Post. :smile:

I think this (2015) thread was the one I recalled (there are also various, mostly migration testing, articles in the BRC Packaging sub-forum) -

https://www.ifsqn.co...layer-material/

"Packaging" people on this Forum can maybe help more effectively than me. You may need to provide more context regarding the specific compliance objectives involved.

Good Luck !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:43 PM

Migration testing - determining how much actually comes out under certain test conditions.  You do not necessarily need to know the total amount present (it may not all come out).  Depending on the type of migration testing (for example, overall total migration, vs. specific migration for specific chemicals) this could be anywhere from $800 to $4000.

Migration Modelling - you need to know how much is present and the diffusion rates to calculate worst case migration levels based on conditions (temperature, etc.).  This is free if you have all the necessary information and know how to use the diffusion equation calculation.

Migration worst case - you know how much is present and you assume all of it comes out.  Compare worst case to requirements.  This would be free if you have all the info.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users