• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

Hello,

I am currently updating some of our records and it has been brought to my attention that we should consider including a formal lockout/tag out procedure.

We have two production lines with large machinery. The machines can be powered down by the emergency stop switch and on the control panel. Currently if equipment needs to be repaired, we do a full power down of equipment and place a HOLD sign that notifies people that equipment is out of order and not to be used (SQF non-conforming equipment procedure).

I am wondering if this is the same as the lockout/tag out procedure??

PS. Anyone that has any resources for OHS (Canada/Ontario) would be greatly appreciated! We are a small company and I may be taking on some OHS...oh the joy.

Thank you!

Mark

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

I'm not sure how Canada works for employee safety, however switches and safety interlocks (such as your emergency stop switch) CAN NOT be used in place of a proper lockout, where a lockout device is deemed necessary. If your repair procedure would cause possible harm to the repair tech on a power up, you would need a lockout device. A lockout device is defined by OSHA as:Any device that uses positive means, such as a lock, blank flanges and bolted slip blinds, to hold an energy-isolating device in a safe position, thereby preventing the energizing of machinery or equipment.

Also to answer your second question about a hold sign and SQF non-conforming procedure being a lockout/tag out procedure, ABSOLUTELY NOT. You could possibly reference it in your LOTO procedure, but once again a hold sign is not a substitute for a lockout IN ANY WAY.

Thanked by 1 Member:

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

You can purchase lock out tag out kits online which I would recommend. Also, if you are going down the OSHA path, I would recommend checking out https://demo.kelleronline.com/. We used this when we had to prepare for a social compliance audit for Walmart. There is an annual fee which we just purchased a one year but it literally has everything you need to be compliant including report forms, programs already written that you just populate the blank spaces, etc. 

Otherwise you can just google lock out tag out procedures and look at a few examples to get an idea of what you need but I would advise to at least purchase a kit which comes with the locks, keys, signs, etc. Here is an example kit. We have something similar or you can make your own. 

https://www.uline.co...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And I agree with Tim, to reference what you are doing in your LOTO procedure in addition to following the LOTO regulations (including using an actual lock)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mark.V

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

Thank you both very much for the information!

I had never encountered this before as my previous position did not have any heavy machinery. I will definitely look into the links and purchase the appropriate materials. :spoton:

Mark

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

I just completed out LOTO program yesterday. You can start off by doing an isolation survey of your lines (machinery). Once you figure out what isolation need to be conducted you need to purchase locks (cables/ valves/ etc.). Attached is a procedure I found online that should help you. 

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:27 PM

The blocking of hazardous energy to a machine is not limited by the size or type of equipment. Whenever hazardous energy exists where the re-introduction of that energy to any equipment could result in injury, you must lock that machine out AND release any stored energy before any work is done on the machine. It could be a small stand alone machine for "chopping" heat sealed bags after filling. If an interlocked guard is present, you would have to lock that machine out say, to change the blade if it required removing the guard. The only caveat here is if it plugged into the wall you could maintain full view and control of the plug during the blade change, no lock required but if it's direct wired, you'd have to lock out the disconnect and tag it there or on the machine at the "ON" switch. (OSHA Standards referred to here)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users