• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:55 PM

Hello All!

I have recently taken a new job setting up the BRC Standard for an alcohol producer which also bottles bulk whiskey from other producers. They are very much into safety, and myself and senior management all come from a Food Science background. Myself and the technical director are PCQI trained, along with HACCP, and binders of other certificates we have received.

From a management's POV, what training would you suggest we have different team members go through? I am suggesting at least the managers go through PCQI training, all S&R take the FDA Training for Carriers covered by the Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food Rule (https://collaboratio...rrier_training/), have a yearly training for all necessary training on equipment when different companies come in to calibrate every year, and have anyone has drives a fork truck be certified through our representative. 

I will say they have a pretty good training system in place on the employee computers that all members need to complete with regularity (ie, GMPs, Basic HACCP, etc). But I am looking for more outside sources that can be incorporated into our program.

Cost of employee training is not the issue.

If anyone has any training they suggest to myself or our staff, I would very much appreciate!

Cam Bucsko 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

Honestly, HACCP training. Without the proper HACCP training and knowledge, you won't have a strong food safety system. Its so important for everyone to have that at least. So if managers have not done HACCP, I would suggest they take that. (Anyway it is a pre-requisite for becoming a PCQI)

Ideally, PCQI is enough for 2 people.  But if cost is no issue then why not have all manager's PCQIs!? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

cjbucsko

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:10 PM

Thank you!!! I have a weekly meeting with the management team tomorrow, and will suggest they all get HACCP or PCQI training. 

Anything else you would suggest?

DN_QAMGR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 37 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

I agree, HACCP training is great. PCQI is going above and beyond. 

If the staff can handle the additionally education, why would it hurt, especially if cost is not an issue.

I would recommend any type of BRC classes. Maybe internal auditing, food safety, food defense, etc., to add more support to these programs. 

Additionally, maybe a professional class for managing programs like Six Sigma Certification.

Have fun and good luck on your new job!

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

Hi Cam,

If you are new to BRC I'd recommend a training course for yourself, and potentially senior management if cost is not an issue. I've heard mixed reviews though you may find it useful. Also I highly recommend getting a copy of the Interpretation Guide which will answer many questions and provides guidance info on all clauses - available to purchase from the BRCGS bookstore site.

As far as BRC goes, they will look at whether an individual's training is commensurate with their activity. So an operative handling CCPs will require adequate HACCP training and competency assessment. Ensure the staff have some training of allergen handling and awareness too, even if no allergens are (supposed to be) handled - this doesn't have to be external or extensive, my staff have some training on it in their induction and will then go on Food Safety level 2 minimum (3 for supervisors and 4 for relevant senior staff)

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Training, Alcohol, Food, Bottling, Beverages, BRC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users