Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 11 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

We are looking to import pork casings (which is apparently under FDA umbrella, not USDA) from Italy for use in sausage/salami making. The Italian plant is already registered with FDA, but has never exported before. There is a lot of information out there on import, but it is hard to simplify the steps down for this customer. 

What documents need to be filled out for import? I know they need to file a prior intent notice with FDA but besides that, any vet documents? production documents? I can't find any formats on the FDA website about this, but maybe i'm just not looking at the right pages.

Does the importing facility also need to be FDA registered if they are a USDA product only producing facility? 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

First & Foremost, As to my knowledge Importing facility needs to follow FSVP.  

https://www.fda.gov/...ans-and-animals

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SoupsNStuff

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 11 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

First & Foremost, As to my knowledge Importing facility needs to follow FSVP.  

https://www.fda.gov/...ans-and-animals

Fair enough, i'll add that to the list. Luckily I was PCQI trained, but it has been a few years since I was at an FDA site so i'll have to reread my training notes.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fda, fsma, casings, pork, import

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users