Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

Can anyone shed some light on the new environmental monitoring clause in the BRC standard? What should be monitored - staff hands, machinery parts, air plates taken and anaylsed - how do risk assess these things?

Has anyone got a packaging manfufacturer Risk Assessment they rae will ing to share - it's v confusing and we could do with some help

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:56 PM

Can anyone shed some light on the new environmental monitoring clause in the BRC standard? What should be monitored - staff hands, machinery parts, air plates taken and anaylsed - how do risk assess these things?

Has anyone got a packaging manfufacturer Risk Assessment they rae will ing to share - it's v confusing and we could do with some help

Thanks

Attached File  BRC Packaging - p558-position-statement-environmental-monitoring-v2-30042019.pdf   165.68KB   359 downloads

Further details may relate to yr Process ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Cherrypie68

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:45 AM

Thanks I've read that but could do to fully understand the rik asessment side of things and what it might incorporate eg: staff, equipment, suppliers of incoming material, cleaning, air plates, swabs etc... is there anything else?

Thanks

C

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

We were given this by our auditing company. Hope it may shed some light on the subject.

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

Not sure where the attachment went to!

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

Not sure where the attachment went to!

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for the layout which smoothly utilizes the escape route provided by BRC's position statement.

However do note that the OP's auditor in BRC Packaging thread linked below would apparently have awarded you a minor NC -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ng/#entry155216

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Charles, we got a minor NCR as didn't have a risk assessment in the first place. This was our auditors aid to help us on the right path. I went to our film producers (we make thermoformed trays) and asked them how they had addressed the position statement and utilised their info into the RA. No good reinventing the wheel if there's help out there.

djammur

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

I am in the packaging business.  First you must create a zone map.  Zone 1 being the surface of the machine that is producing the product.  In my case that is the web surface of a press. Zone 2 would be approx. 2 feet out from the end of zone 1, Zone 3-again, 2 more feet out, and so on.

Each zone gets tested with sample sponges using an aseptic process (google is best).  Based on past negative results and risk assessment, we perform 20 swabs every other month for salmonella and listeria

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:52 AM

I am in the packaging business.  First you must create a zone map.  Zone 1 being the surface of the machine that is producing the product.  In my case that is the web surface of a press. Zone 2 would be approx. 2 feet out from the end of zone 1, Zone 3-again, 2 more feet out, and so on.

Each zone gets tested with sample sponges using an aseptic process (google is best).  Based on past negative results and risk assessment, we perform 20 swabs every other month for salmonella and listeria

Hi djammur,

Thks input.

But note that based on previous posts in this BRC thread, yr 20 swabs may well be redundant.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

djammur

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

Charles,

Sorry - I did not clarify.   We are a very large facility.  I do 20 total, but 10 of salmonella and 10 listeria.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

Charles,

Sorry - I did not clarify.   We are a very large facility.  I do 20 total, but 10 of salmonella and 10 listeria.

Hi djammur,

The point is that for "Packaging Manufacturing,"  BRC are prepared to consider zero swabbing for pathogens such as Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes.

(Possibly unlike FDA ?).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Adrian Smith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Charles, we got a minor NCR as didn't have a risk assessment in the first place. This was our auditors aid to help us on the right path. I went to our film producers (we make thermoformed trays) and asked them how they had addressed the position statement and utilised their info into the RA. No good reinventing the wheel if there's help out there.

Hi Rosemary, Did you need to carry out the swab tests in the end or was a risk assessment enough?  We make pouch bags using floxographic substrates for direct food contact.

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:23 AM

No Adrian, the risk assessment was enough. I should ask your raw material suppliers what their position statement is as I assume they are BRC accredited so they must have gone through the pain of this!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users