• Quick Navigation
Photo

What is best practice for lot numbers in a produce company?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Alinvaiserman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:54 PM

Hello all,

our company is switching to Produce Pro RRC program.

We have always used lot numbers now we only using produce pro numbers and a Julian date.

we are not sure if that is the correct way to do this and will we still be able to trace the lot down?

please advice did anyone had this at their company?

thanks in advance !

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

No-one else has answered this and whilst I'm not at all familiar with the software concerned, the crux of the question is perhaps going to come down to your own way of working. If you can trace product in accordance with regulatory (and certification, if applicable) requirements using these codes then they are presumably fit for purpose?
If that isn't the case then you may need to find another solution.

For what it's worth, changing software and/or traceability coding format can create a slightly unsettled feeling until you get used to the new system, so it might just be a case of trying a couple of traceability exercises to verify that it does what's expected of it, then working with it for a while until it becomes more familiar?

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

We work with some produce companies and have found that they use a lot of batch codes that incorporate harvest dates and locations.  Produce Pro has a PTI (Produce Traceability Initiative) where they work to provide some transparency on this.  They are really good at getting information out for clarification.  Here is a video on their PTI.

https://youtu.be/Wvj-7zaZCLI

Julian date will work if you can fully trace it from start to finish and you are completing whole lots under that Julian date.  I would recommend doing a mock recall and see how you are able to work with it in your own system.  We conduct them twice per year.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Gam1ra

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:20 PM

I've seen a company that writes personal number for every client, the number comes out from his birth date and some other data, as well as I know they have a numerologist that finds out the numbers that could be written for every client. I was really interested in that, as numerology looks very interesting to me, so I started to search for all types of information about numbers and I found this https://www.sunsigns...er-420-meaning/ This looks so interesting to me, and I think I understood how this company finds out every number for every client particularly

Edited by Gam1ra, 10 March 2020 - 01:24 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users