• Quick Navigation
Photo

Areas to include in Master Sanitation Program ?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

PollyKBD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

Hi all, 

I'm working on the master sanitation program for our new building and was wondering if we need to include offices, bathrooms, break rooms and hallways that are not part of production.

In our current facility support offices are offsite and there is no break room so I have never encountered these things. 

Thanks in advance!

~Polly 

TJW

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

Hi Polly - I would definitely include items that are not cleaned daily in employee breakrooms and employee restrooms in your master sanitation plan.  For example lights, refrigerators, microwaves, etc.  If the hallway leads to a production area then I would include it as well.  I don't see a need to include the offices unless they are someone within the production area or open directly to production (not the best design but thought I would mention it).  Hope this helps!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:11 PM

Everything under the roof and exterior goes into the MSS.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:59 AM

Hi all, 

I'm working on the master sanitation program for our new building and was wondering if we need to include offices, bathrooms, break rooms and hallways that are not part of production.

In our current facility support offices are offsite and there is no break room so I have never encountered these things. 

Thanks in advance!

~Polly 

Hi Polly,

Note that nowhere in the Manufacturing Code do SQF refer to a "master" anything. It's just a tradition. SQF do refer to a "cleaning program". There is curiously also no mention of "cleaning and sanitizing." There are 2 refs to a "cleaning and sanitation program" (whatever that means).

I assume that by "Sanitation" program you mean a Cleaning/Sanitizing program.

With respect to yr queries, I assume that "Offices, bathrooms, etc" do not generate any potential BCPA contamination hazards to the manufactured product. This involves risk assessment (peanut vending machines seem to be a popular, under the radar, offender).

So, from the Code -

11.2.13.1  The methods and responsibility for the cleaning of the food handling and processing equipment and environment, storage areas, staff amenities and toilet facilities shall be documented and implemented. 

11.2.13.5  Pre-operational inspections shall be conducted following cleaning and sanitation operations to ensure food processing areas, product contact surfaces, equipment, staff amenities and sanitary facilities and other essential areas are clean before the commencement of production. Pre-operational inspections shall be conducted by qualified personnel.

11.2.13.6  Staff amenities, sanitary facilities and other essential areas shall be inspected by qualified personnel to ensure the areas are clean, at a defined frequency.

Other clauses imply that, in the context of above clauses, "Staff amenities"  refers to "Production", not "Office", eg -

11.3.6.1 Staff amenities supplied with appropriate lighting and ventilation shall be made available for the use of all persons engaged in the handling and processing of product.

I anticipate that "sanitary" facilities above has a similar connotation.

Accordingly, assuming my earlier caveat is Nil, IMO the answer to yr query is No.

PS - JFI and afaik, not a common audit occurrence, here is an interesting discussion over so-called  "critical" items to be cleaned -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ule/#entry78519

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users