• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food defense implications of having antibiotic cream in a first aid kit that is right outside a production area?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 150 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:34 AM

Hello all, I didn't see this topic come up yet, but what are your thoughts on the food defense implications of having such a thing as antibiotic cream in a first aid kit that is right outside a production area?

My initial thought are that there is access to the substance, as we don't lock up the kit.  However, as far as the opportunity to cause 'widespread harm,' my instinct is that the opportunity isn't that huge for a substance of that quantity and nature.

Please let me know what you think!

Matthew

annacortes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:03 AM

Good evening.

My recommendation would be to assure you have SDS documents on all supplies contained within the kit and also have it controlled( authorized personnel access only) to eliminate the risk all together.

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:31 AM

You can also look at control measures that would mitigate any potential risk.

I wouldn't suggest controlling access to it - if you need first aid then the last thing you want is to have to track someone down to unlock the kit...

Keep an inventory and check it off. You'll need to do this anyway to an extent to make sure it still contains the required items, but at the same time this will tell you if anything has gone missing that shouldn't have - you can easily cross-check against your accident log to verify.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

Is it secured in the production area and unable to be moved?  We ran into a similar issue and moved the kit to the inside of an office.  We maintain the SDS, like Anna mentioned, but we mainly control it by having it separated from production by a room.  Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users