• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

Morning All,

As part of our due diligence defence we are looking at periodically sampling the size and Consistency of oats that are delivered to our bakery, and not just relying on the COA. Could anyone advise on a good method to follow, and how to sample etc. we know what the size should be from the spec, and so want to verify this.

Welcome your thoughts.

Steve

Thanked by 1 Member:

Chris Zacharski

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

Several quality factors may be considered when purchasing milling- quality oats. Selection of quality indicators for 1st class Canadian Western Oats reads as follow:

- Minimum test weight = 56 kg/hL

- Degree of soundness = 98% sound groats and good color

- Hulled and hulless = % 6 max

- Damage:
   Fireburnt, % Nil
   Frost-damaged, % 0.1 max
   Fusarium, % 0.1 max
   Heated, % Nil 
- Foreign material:
   Barley, % 0.75 max
   Cereal grains other than wheat and barley, % 1 max
   Ergot, % Nil 
   Excreta 1 piece in 1,000 g or less
   Large seeds, % 0.2 max
   Sclerotinia, % Nil 
   Stones, % 0.017 max
   Wheat, % 0.75 max
   Wild oats, % 1 max
- Total damaged and foreign material, 2

Source: 2007 Oats. Pages 7.1-7.24 in: Official Grain Grading Guide. Canadian Grain Commission, Winnipeg, MB, Canada

High free fatty acid (FFA) levels are an indicator of grain damage or mishandling and lead to the development of unacceptable flavors and aromas in the finished products. 

The quality testing of grains destined for human consumption must considered for is biological and chemical contaminants. Aflatoxin, vomitoxin, and other fungal metabolites represent major quality issues in many grains. No limits have been set for these yet, although limits are expected to be set in the very near future.

If you want to learn more, here is a good read about oats quality standards:

CHAPTER 14 - Oat Milling: Specifications, Storage, and Processing by Noël Girardet and  F.H. Webster (in Oats, 2nd ed)

https://www.scienced...891127649500191

I hope you will find it useful. Drop me a line if I can do anything else for you.

Kind regards,
Chris

Edited by Chris Zacharski, 26 February 2020 - 01:53 PM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

Several quality factors may be considered when purchasing milling- quality oats. Selection of quality indicators for 1st class Canadian Western Oats reads as follow:

- Minimum test weight = 56 kg/hL

- Degree of soundness = 98% sound groats and good color

- Hulled and hulless = % 6 max

- Damage:
   Fireburnt, % Nil
   Frost-damaged, % 0.1 max
   Fusarium, % 0.1 max
   Heated, % Nil 
- Foreign material:
   Barley, % 0.75 max
   Cereal grains other than wheat and barley, % 1 max
   Ergot, % Nil 
   Excreta 1 piece in 1,000 g or less
   Large seeds, % 0.2 max
   Sclerotinia, % Nil 
   Stones, % 0.017 max
   Wheat, % 0.75 max
   Wild oats, % 1 max
- Total damaged and foreign material, 2

Source: 2007 Oats. Pages 7.1-7.24 in: Official Grain Grading Guide. Canadian Grain Commission, Winnipeg, MB, Canada

High free fatty acid (FFA) levels are an indicator of grain damage or mishandling and lead to the development of unacceptable flavors and aromas in the finished products. 

The quality testing of grains destined for human consumption must considered for is biological and chemical contaminants. Aflatoxin, vomitoxin, and other fungal metabolites represent major quality issues in many grains. No limits have been set for these yet, although limits are expected to be set in the very near future.

If you want to learn more, here is a good read about oats quality standards:

CHAPTER 14 - Oat Milling: Specifications, Storage, and Processing by Noël Girardet and  F.H. Webster (in Oats, 2nd ed)

https://www.scienced...891127649500191

I hope you will find it useful. Drop me a line if I can do anything else for you.

Kind regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

No Moisture ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Chris Zacharski

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

That is a fair point, thanks Charles. Aside from the parameters mentioned above, there is a set of a typical milling-quality oat specification, as follows:

Minimum test weight, 51 kg/hL
SCO, min. 97%
Moisture, max. 13%
Foreign material, max. 3%
Wheat and barley, max. 2%
Heat-damaged, max. 0.1%
Ergot, Nil
Sclerotinia, Nil
Pesticides/chemicals, None detectable
Pests, No live infestation
Thins through 2-mm slotted screen, max. 5%
Free fatty acids, max. 8%

Source: Girardet and Webster (2011)

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:56 PM

Morning All,

As part of our due diligence defence we are looking at periodically sampling the size and Consistency of oats that are delivered to our bakery, and not just relying on the COA. Could anyone advise on a good method to follow, and how to sample etc. we know what the size should be from the spec, and so want to verify this.

Welcome your thoughts.

Steve

Steve, you don't specify - are you bringing in whole oats, or flaked oats, or some other form (whole de-hulled groats, steel-cut oats, etc.)?

We make steam-rolled oat flakes from whole oats here...I can probably help you out, if I know exactly what type of oats or oat products you are receiving.

Brian

StevieP

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

@Parkz58,

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the information. Yes, we are bringing in whole oats, toasted oats and flaked! The check would be for our Goods-In Operator, so it needs to be really simple and quick. They don't have analytical equipment. Really, all we are looking for is the size of the oat reflects what our supplier states in their spec. We wouldn't sample every batch, it would purely be a sampling exercise, if that makes sense.

thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:01 PM

@Parkz58,

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the information. Yes, we are bringing in whole oats, toasted oats and flaked! The check would be for our Goods-In Operator, so it needs to be really simple and quick. They don't have analytical equipment. Really, all we are looking for is the size of the oat reflects what our supplier states in their spec. We wouldn't sample every batch, it would purely be a sampling exercise, if that makes sense.

thanks!

Hi Stevie,

I'm curious.

How do you specify the size of Oats ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

StevieP

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

We don't, we purchase them from our suppliers, it is on their spec. We are seeing so much variation in production that we want to sample the deliveries as we don't believe they are compliant to our suppliers spec.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:30 PM

We don't, we purchase them from our suppliers, it is on their spec. We are seeing so much variation in production that we want to sample the deliveries as we don't believe they are compliant to our suppliers spec.

I will rephrase my query.

How do yr suppliers specify the size, eg a range of piece numbers per lb or ? I am thinking must be a sizeable number.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users