• Quick Navigation
Photo

Chemical approval - different for FCS and NFCS?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:29 PM

Hello folks,

I was working on our chemical listing, and realized that we do not have all the documents as described in our chemical program. In the program, it says "all chemicals shall be on the approved CFIA listing (which stopped updating many years ago), or a letter of no objection provided by Health Canada or FDA". I feel like the program is no longer accurate. 

We have chemicals on Food Contact Surface, and paint/caulk/ink/snow cleaning chemicals for Non FCS. Many of the NFCS are bought from Home Depot or Canadian tire stores that we don't have any document of.

My question turns to be, do we need a) SDS b)Technical Data Sheet c) CFIA approval or Letter of no Objection, for all of these chemicals?

It would also be much appreciated if anyone could share their chemical program.

Thanks a lot!!

kettlecorn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

I don't know Canadian laws thoroughly, but in the U.S you would need a booklet with SDS for all chemicals used in the facility for the last decade, at least, per OSHA. I would suspect Canada also would require you to have documentation of all chemicals from, say, Home Depot or Canadian tire stores, certainly. Personally, I would stay away from that, if you can avoid it, so that you have trusted suppliers. 

I unfortunately can't share our program, but I can say we have folder with SDSs separated by food-contact, non-food-contact, and other. This includes any and all chemicals used by third parties, including pest control. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:20 PM

Since this was posted under the SQF heading - are you asking for the requirements per SQF, Canada requirements or both?

Also, regardless of where one purchases a chemical an SDS sheet and related docs are available from the distributor/manufacturer.  Most times directly from their website or by sending an email request or calling them.

I have a small factory client that buys all sanitation items from a local supermarket, but has all the SDS sheets and product specs for each one.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

Hello folks,

I was working on our chemical listing, and realized that we do not have all the documents as described in our chemical program. In the program, it says "all chemicals shall be on the approved CFIA listing (which stopped updating many years ago), or a letter of no objection provided by Health Canada or FDA". I feel like the program is no longer accurate. 

We have chemicals on Food Contact Surface, and paint/caulk/ink/snow cleaning chemicals for Non FCS. Many of the NFCS are bought from Home Depot or Canadian tire stores that we don't have any document of.

My question turns to be, do we need a) SDS b)Technical Data Sheet c) CFIA approval or Letter of no Objection, for all of these chemicals?

It would also be much appreciated if anyone could share their chemical program.

Thanks a lot!!

The additional aspect to previous posts is that appropriate documentation is typically required to enable generation of an "Approved Supplier" list.

I would anticipate that the, apparently, no longer up-to-date (non-existing?) documents from CFIA's  Regulatory system fulfilled the aforementioned requirement.

So, from a safety POV, how do you currently control reception/storage of non-documented chemicals ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users