• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

Hello, 

We manufacuture supplements for menopause and it consists of botanicals/herbals such as black cohosh.  Is there a limit on finished product mold and yeast count for such supplements? We ususally abide by the <100 cfu/g specification.  This specific run is coming back higher on the mold count in the lower thousand.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are SQF audited and FDA as well. 

Thank you, 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:10 PM

Hello, 

We manufacuture supplements for menopause and it consists of botanicals/herbals such as black cohosh.  Is there a limit on finished product mold and yeast count for such supplements? We ususally abide by the <100 cfu/g specification.  This specific run is coming back higher on the mold count in the lower thousand.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are SQF audited and FDA as well. 

Thank you, 

Hi Sarah,

It's a rather "offbeat" query.

Definitely not my area but I would anticipate that any mould count may relate to the processing ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

billbrochin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

Be careful with black cohosh.  The FDA does not approve black cohosh as a supplement or as a food in the U S.

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 150 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:27 PM

It depends on how the typical customer will use the product, but I would recommend looking here:  http://www.ahpa.org/...4-26-121351-030

The FDA doesn't approve any supplements, because they are supplements and not drugs.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users