• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to create daily lot numbers for vats of milk for cheese making?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

qc@kosherdairy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:50 PM

Good morning all,

I will be taking over plant production for a Cheese production plant. we currently run 6-7 different vats of milk for cheese making, How can a lot # these vats daily?

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:11 PM

Perhaps you can do it by the specific vat number and then the batch for the vat for each day.

If you have 6 different vats and run three vats of milk per day from each vat a number scheme as such may work for you.

• Vat 01:
    • Batch 01 (V01B01)
    • Batch 02 (V01B02)
    • Batch 03 (V01B03)

You need to make sure you can trace back to the milk you receive that goes into each vat.

Cheza0021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

Agree with Ryan, we track on the cheese-makers production log. Then that's verified thru our finance for shipping.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:52 AM

Hi qc@kosherdairy,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

I usually use a system where each batch code is identified by Date/Month/Letter - Example 16MayA is the first batch of the day (see attached).

Attached File  QM 3.9A Identification and Traceability System Appendix.pdf   37.76KB   18 downloads

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:41 AM

Good morning all,

I will be taking over plant production for a Cheese production plant. we currently run 6-7 different vats of milk for cheese making, How can a lot # these vats daily?

Not my product area but the specific production flow not obvious to me, eg -

only one run at a time ?

only one vat used for one run ?

Post 4 method seems to duplicate every year although maybe not relevant.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

We use vats as well differentiating them by lot number consisting of best before date and vat# (YYYY MM DD VAT#). E.g. Balkan Yogurt 2020 JN 23 A1, Greek Yogurt 2020 JN 23 A2, etc.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:17 AM

Post 4 method seems to duplicate every year although maybe not relevant.

You could add the year for long life products but not necessary as day/month/year will be on production records. I prefer to keep things simple  :smile:

We use vats as well differentiating them by lot number consisting of best before date and vat# (YYYY MM DD VAT#). E.g. Balkan Yogurt 2020 JN 23 A1, Greek Yogurt 2020 JN 23 A2, etc.

As per my previous post I prefer to use a batch code at the start, so mixing of ingredients. This batch code then follows the product through all stages of production to filling and makes traceability easier. Creating batch codes at different stage of production is not something I would do but maybe some people to prefer to follow batches by whole vats rather than the start of the process (this may be the case when only milk is used and a vat may have only milk from 1 or 2 silos).

Also is that a 'use by' date rather than a best before? If the product is short shelf life, do you really need the year?

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users