• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:05 PM

Greetings!

I am assisting my company in obtaining AIB Consolidated Standard certificate for a Food Distribution/Storage Center. We are looking into purchasing a new facility so we can start fresh from the ground up, and I had some questions on facility layout concerning cross contamination.

I understand that only food grade products can be stored in the warehouse, and IF there are non-food items stored, they must be segregated properly in order to avoid any cross contamination or confusion.

Does this mean that we MUST have a wall or a door that completely separates food and non-food items or could we simply have a separate storage rack that is in a clearly defined and visible?

Basically, could we have a rack that contains basic non-hazardous materials stored elsewhere in the same facility, on a completely separate rack/area that is not divided by a wall or door?

I am referencing AIB Consolidated Standards for Food Distribution, sections on cross contamination: 1.23 1.3 and 1.4.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice on this!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:00 PM

You did not say what the "non food" items are?

Paper products, chemical compounds, packaging, lubricants, etc - each could easily generate a different response from us.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

ksva

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:11 PM

You did not say what the "non food" items are?

Paper products, chemical compounds, packaging, lubricants, etc - each could easily generate a different response from us.

Hi Glenn,

Specifically, we would be planning on stocking the following non-food materials in the same facility:

Watchbands/Straps

Baby Strollers/Accessories (cloth material, stroller frames)

Gym Equipment (weight lifting sets, kettlebells)

Makeup/Lipsticks/Concealer/Mascara

Corrugate/Cartons/Packaging materials

Advertising Displays

Furniture (tables/chairs)

Would any of the above be unacceptable to have in the facility without a partition?

Thank you!

Edited by ksva, 16 March 2020 - 09:12 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:18 PM

I'd store the food products in one section with wall/door and then cosmetics in another section wall/door and then balanve in another section with like items together, such as packaging and displays together.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

ksva

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

I'd store the food products in one section with wall/door and then cosmetics in another section wall/door and then balanve in another section with like items together, such as packaging and displays together.

Thank you for the prompt response!

I have two follow up questions:

1. If we were to have an audit for certification, and we did not have door/wall separating the food and non-food items; but rather food and non-food items (all of the above except the cosmetics) stored in the opposite side of the warehouse on their own racks,  would that be an immediate/automatic fail?

2. Does the entire building have to be AIB certified, or just the section we are renting/using? We are looking at renting a different facility, but the other tenant is involved in tire/automotive parts storage. If we are renting one half of the facility, and the other half stores tires and automotive parts, will that matter? (other tenant is divided by wall, with no doors or entrance that could access our side of the building)

Edited by ksva, 17 March 2020 - 03:57 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

Thank you for the prompt response!

I have two follow up questions:

1. If we were to have an audit for certification, and we did not have door/wall separating the food and non-food items; but rather food and non-food items (all of the above except the cosmetics) stored in the opposite side of the warehouse on their own racks,  would that be an immediate/automatic fail?

2. Does the entire building have to be AIB certified, or just the section we are renting/using? We are looking at renting a different facility, but the other tenant is involved in tire/automotive parts storage. If we are renting one half of the facility, and the other half stores tires and automotive parts, will that matter? (other tenant is divided by wall, with no doors or entrance that could access our side of the building)

you have to look at it from a standpoint of risk - if you can justify what you propose, do so via a risk analysis, but if you can't then do a full separation. 

and please know that AIB is not a certification, it's a standard 3rd party audit and I doubt an auditor would fail a facility for this.

As to #2, it is the subject space only - but you have to do your risk assessments to ensure no impact from your neighbors, cross waste traps, cross-piping, etc.  Shared buildings can be a sticky wicket!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic