• Quick Navigation
Photo

$17,000 a year on booties! Or go full blown with a dedicated shoe program?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:08 PM

Hello out there!! As we all ponder life past the Corona ordeal.....

We (my company) are at a crossroads.....

Continue the insanity with booties, or go full blown with a dedicated shoe program.

Please, I would like to hear everyone's opinion and experience with either path if you have come to this crossroad yourselves already.

Sincerely,

Plastic Ducky 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:04 PM

Too many worries on the bootie things, maintenance, cleaning, etc. etc. 

Most of our clients that did a switch, did so to Shoes for Crews and have been happy.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

S-S

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:46 PM

Hello out there!! As we all ponder life past the Corona ordeal.....

We (my company) are at a crossroads.....

Continue the insanity with booties, or go full blown with a dedicated shoe program.

Please, I would like to hear everyone's opinion and experience with either path if you have come to this crossroad yourselves already.

Sincerely,

Plastic Ducky 

Do you change them every year?  :eek_yello:

I guess it depends if you work in a wet environment, we supply boots to our employees and they are heavy duty and easy to clean.

We use Pollyboots and they are perfect for us, no problem cleaning them and they are safe. :thumbup:

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:59 PM

I have previous experience with captive shoe and Shoes for Crews using their boots, replacing yearly.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

How about a third option?  Doorway sanitizers at entrances to high risk areas.  

They have an upfront cost, but low maintenance and only the chemical cost after install.  Chemical is used in low dosages so not very costly.

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:45 PM

How about a third option?  Doorway sanitizers at entrances to high risk areas.  

They have an upfront cost, but low maintenance and only the chemical cost after install.  Chemical is used in low dosages so not very costly.

These will not eliminate the problem unless dedicated shoes or booties are used.  It does not eliminate existing debris or organic matter that could be brought in on employee footwear.

• S-S likes this

Thanked by 2 Members:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

These will not eliminate the problem unless dedicated shoes or booties are used.  It does not eliminate existing debris or organic matter that could be brought in on employee footwear.

So...all companies that have a "dedicated" footwear program do not allow their employees to wear the said footwear outside of controlled areas?  Hmmm..... :unsure:

I've never been at a facility where employee footwear was isolated only to controlled areas....but that may be me and my experiences.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

So...all companies that have a "dedicated" footwear program do not allow their employees to wear the said footwear outside of controlled areas?  Hmmm..... :unsure:

I've never been at a facility where employee footwear was isolated only to controlled areas....but that may be me and my experiences.

I have a couple of clients that require the controlled footwear to not leave those areas - the employees have to change out of the boots/shoes and put on their own or another pair of supplied shoes when heading ot lunch, the office, other areas. And then I have most clients where the captive shoes can be worn anywhere in the building - they just can't leave the building.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

LesleySR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

Hi Plastic Ducky

Not sure how relevant this is as you are USA based.

In UK if you produce for retailers they are generally very averse to overshoes because they can “shred” and also are slippery (health & safety perspective)…. For example, if your staff are using overshoes, how are you checking that they don’t shred & transfer contamination throughout the factory? Or become a foreign body risk themselves?.

The logic (for UK retailers) is that the use of overshoes is similar to the “magic” gloves…. You know those magic gloves that employees wear all day, then pick product off the floor, scratch their nose etc.etc. but it’s all good because “we’re wearing GLOVES!”……

(an exaggeration, but you get the picture, sometimes employees don’t fully understand the rationale behind their PPE use?)

Although expensive (initially) to implement captive footwear, if you produce in a high risk facility and/or have allergen handling areas there is a good case for a change of footwear as you move between risk areas & ultimately it is usually cheaper (and theoretically safer) than overshoes, which are usually kept for factory visitor use only?.

Best of luck!

Edited by LesleySR, 27 March 2020 - 11:09 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:57 PM

Actually yes - what would be the point of captive footwear if you allowed your employees to wear it outside the building/controlled areas??

• S-S likes this

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users