• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to cope with Coronavirus control measures in food production areas? #FlattenTheCurve #KeepYourDistance

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

BenB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:19 AM

We have never had times like this. To protect our health systems from total collapse, one of the best measures is spatial distance. I hate the term "social distance" because the only thing that holds us together is social cohesion. Although we need to learn different ways of being social together will keeping spatial distance (but that would be another topic ...)

As office workers may utilize home office option, workers in production areas need to stay at work and sometimes inevitable (?) in close proximity!

I'd be interested to share some of your ideas how to best cope with this situation. What worked, what didn't work?

BenB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:25 AM

To start with some solutions we came up with:
- "artifical" shifts > even if shift work would not be necessary we started working in shifts, so if we need to quarantine members of shift A we'd still have shift B or C

- "ghost shift change" > and extra 1/2 h between shifts, so one shift can completely clear the area before the next shift moves in

- "Masks" in areas where personnel has to work in close proximity, although according to our standard HACCP we would not need too carry one in these areas

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:16 PM

To start with some solutions we came up with:
- "artifical" shifts > even if shift work would not be necessary we started working in shifts, so if we need to quarantine members of shift A we'd still have shift B or C

- "ghost shift change" > and extra 1/2 h between shifts, so one shift can completely clear the area before the next shift moves in

- "Masks" in areas where personnel has to work in close proximity, although according to our standard HACCP we would not need too carry one in these areas

We are limiting movement between office/production areas.  We have tossed around the idea to use gloves/masks when dealing with ingredient drivers and paperwork, but don't have any in stock as we typically don't use (livestock feed production) and have not been able to find any in stock anywhere.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Benjamin Bunting

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Surfing, hunting, fishing, skydiving, anything outdoors.

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

I really like the shift change idea. keeping people from ever contacting.

We have restricted movement between plant locations and sample drops are conducted at the guard shacks instead of sending lab techs into all the plants. one tech per plant so the same tech is not cross contaminating. 

No venders in without proper PPE and limited to essential personal.

Awesome conversation.

Thanked by 1 Member:

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

I always stress not to exclude non-production areas too. You can have spacial and excellent hygiene within the production area, but if the staff are then crowded together in a canteen during breaks where they are not wearing PPE, not habitually monitored for hand washing etc, I think this is a potential weak point in terms of preventing infection between staff.

Thanked by 1 Member:

arahman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:16 PM

I always stress not to exclude non-production areas too. You can have spacial and excellent hygiene within the production area, but if the staff are then crowded together in a canteen during breaks where they are not wearing PPE, not habitually monitored for hand washing etc, I think this is a potential weak point in terms of preventing infection between staff.

agreed. we have a 4 person limit in our cafeteria and 2 person limit in washrooms/hand washing area. of course the number would be different as per area

Thanked by 1 Member:

digitalwaiter

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:25 AM

Yeah in some areas the production has been stopped due to covid-19 many cases.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users