• Quick Navigation
Photo

Ambient air testing - Where to put the plates?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

Hello folks,

We are a honey manufacturer under SQF. In the recent ambient air testing, I noticed the count in hot room (place to melt honey) was as high as 100+ yeast and mold, and 50+ HPC. The plates were put on ground level, where it was dark and humid.

As a corrective action, I did another 5 tests at 5 locations in the hot room. This time the plates were put on honey tank edges (around 1 meter height), right under the ventilation fan. The results came back perfectly at 0 or 1 total count. 

I will dig into more research to find a proper air testing procedure in hot and dark environment. Maybe do a another comparison test at the same time. But can anyone share their opinions on this? Do you think the location/height is the reason for such difference?? 

Thanks!

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:22 PM

Did you redo the test in the same location as the original plates, and/or do you have data from previous sampling in the same location with which you can make a comparison? i.e. are the first set of results actually anomalously "high", or is this typical of the counts in that area?

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:16 PM

Did you redo the test in the same location as the original plates, and/or do you have data from previous sampling in the same location with which you can make a comparison? i.e. are the first set of results actually anomalously "high", or is this typical of the counts in that area?

Hello pHruit, I did the 5 additional testing at locations different than the first time. I think the fist result was "high" as compared to last year.

I will maybe do a comparison test at both locations at the same time.

Thanks!

chrkut

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:11 PM

BostonCream,

We put most of ours in open product zones next to every line. We did not put any on ground level, instead placing them as near or on top of sections of the line. The rest of ours were placed in the air handlers or in the HVAC lines on a rotating basis leading to product areas to measure the levels in the air blowing out.

We tended to avoid under blowers due to it not representing the ambient air. 

- Christine

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users