• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the audit expectations for Co Manufactureres that are SQF compliant?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ral491994

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:53 PM

Hi All, 

I am working going from a third party audit to SQF certification. Our company is pretty small.  Our company use quite a few co-manufactures for multiple avenues. Most of our co-mans are BRC/SQF certified. Some are not. I am planning on doing an internal audit for the co-mans that are not SQF. However for the companies that are SQF compliant, do i need to physically do an internal audit/ or checks? How frequently? Yearly? Bi-yearly? Is the documentation, samples, email commuincation etc enough?? We are not high risk product. Very low risk. 

Thank you!

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:56 PM

I can only speak to what I do with Co-mans is every year they submit to me their GFSI audit report and based off the findings may determine a phone call to discuss or it could be an onsite visit.  We have been Level 3 (safety and quality) SQF certified for 10 years no issues so far.

Kind Regards,

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:18 PM

Your contract manufacturers are all required to be equivalent to your SQF certification and that could mean they are either GFSI (one of the schemes) certified or they meet the requiements to equal the certification.

Our clients that use contract manufacturers obtain a copy of their GFSI audit along with their certificate and like Tomato Country Girl each one may call to discuss the CA's or if deemed needed go and do a site visit.

The the ones that that are not GFSI certified, they are required to have at minimum an annual 3rd party and the client most times will visit these facilities as well.

Going  back to your question - from an SQF auditing standpoint, the Auditor will be looking for you to follow the exact requirements of the code for contract manufacturers - this will include the GFSI certificates and audits -- there is nothing in the code that says you need to go and audit them.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 25 March 2020 - 03:23 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

ral491994

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member