Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

I am going over and trying to update our risk assessments and documentation due to COVID-19 and i'm kinda stuck with how to prevent some of the transmissions  that would be encountered at a food storage facility.

arahman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:14 PM

I will be watching this topic for peoples comments:) I would worry more about supply chain, personnel availability or lack thereof leading to poor food safety and quality though 

Vladimir Surcinski

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:33 PM

@Regulski, can you please update what did you analysed till now, and from there we can make further steps together.

Thank you

anny513

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:01 PM

My immediate response to mitigate the risk would be if possible to close the facility for at least 2 weeks but if that cannot be done- in order to protect the employees safety, I would include a step to the preoperatioal inspection to make sure no infected emplyee enters the facility, the steps can go from checking the employee temperature by monitoring with a non- contact calibrated thermometer to making sure the employee is not coughing or sneezing before each employee is granted access to the facility on a daily until the risk of contamination is cleared by the CDC.  

I would also recommend that all incoming materials are placed on hold for at least a 24hrs prior to releasing it to production, the receiving personnel must wear the necessary PPE to protect themselves from contamination. Each load should be treated as contaminated to prevent any accidents. No truck driver should be delivering load documentations to the receiving personnel (receiving personnel must keep 6ft from the delivery personnel at all times) ALL documents associated to the load received should be emailed prior to the delivery.

All necessary precautions can take place when the employees are kept informed and are fully trained. (Communication and training is the key to mitigating the risk)

God bless you and be safe!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:35 AM

My immediate response to mitigate the risk would be if possible to close the facility for at least 2 weeks but if that cannot be done- in order to protect the employees safety, I would include a step to the preoperatioal inspection to make sure no infected emplyee enters the facility, the steps can go from checking the employee temperature by monitoring with a non- contact calibrated thermometer to making sure the employee is not coughing or sneezing before each employee is granted access to the facility on a daily until the risk of contamination is cleared by the CDC.  

I would also recommend that all incoming materials are placed on hold for at least a 24hrs prior to releasing it to production, the receiving personnel must wear the necessary PPE to protect themselves from contamination. Each load should be treated as contaminated to prevent any accidents. No truck driver should be delivering load documentations to the receiving personnel (receiving personnel must keep 6ft from the delivery personnel at all times) ALL documents associated to the load received should be emailed prior to the delivery.

All necessary precautions can take place when the employees are kept informed and are fully trained. (Communication and training is the key to mitigating the risk)

God bless you and be safe!

Hi anny,

I deduce that you believe the virus SARS-COV-2 is transmitted by food and paper. Please also refer to the 2nd link in this post -

https://www.ifsqn.co...19/#entry157847

and, perhaps, this post (I am not a virologist) -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ts/#entry157842

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

anny513

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:39 PM

Hi anny,

I deduce that you believe the virus SARS-COV-2 is transmitted by food and paper. Please also refer to the 2nd link in this post -

https://www.ifsqn.co...19/#entry157847

and, perhaps, this post (I am not a virologist) -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ts/#entry157842

Good Day Charles,

Based on the information received from the CDC, WHO and other professionals on the matter. It is my understanding that this virus can be transmitted via any available surface (time and space is essential) this may also include the air.

Because the COVID-19 is a new threat any precaution one can take to prevent the spread of the virus is minimal and unfortunately once it has entered the facility any action taken to mitigative the risk may not be enough to protect our personnel, ourselves, our friends and families and anyone that may come into contact with us as we go about our daily lives. 

Unfortunately  is the careless actions of some people that have America currently at more than 200,000 infected individuals.

The food supply is considered essential and therefore it must continue its operations also it is the plant management responsibility to keep all the employees safe at all times. As an auditor one of the first questions I would ask; is how the plant kept all the employees safe during the pandemic and where is the record to prove it (remember if it wasn't documented it did not happened as per the HACCP prerequisite requirements).

God bless and be safe!

Edited by anny513, 01 April 2020 - 07:50 PM.

patti.garcia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:18 PM

I was thinking about this topic myself. Isn't it better to be more general? For instance we do not have rules for every illness that can occur to mankind such as aids or Gastroenteritis, Ebola, Smallpox, or the Bubonic Plague. If we had to do statements for all the diseases it could be mind boggling.

Can't we just say that we will follow CDC, WHO and other professional guidelines? If we say we will take temperatures then we have to have evidence and...and... and... it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Thanked by 2 Members:

anny513

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:48 PM

I was thinking about this topic myself. Isn't it better to be more general? For instance we do not have rules for every illness that can occur to mankind such as aids or Gastroenteritis, Ebola, Smallpox, or the Bubonic Plague. If we had to do statements for all the diseases it could be mind boggling.

Can't we just say that we will follow CDC, WHO and other professional guidelines? If we say we will take temperatures then we have to have evidence and...and... and... it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Good Day Patty

The Food Safety Modernization Act requires a Food facility to develop a Food Protection Plan which include the health and practices of the employees; the plan need to be specific to your facility (a general statement such as the company ABC will follow the guidelines of any institution ej; CDC, WHO, etc. is not permitted) Please note that the Risk Assessment must explain in detail what will be monitored and why, what action will follow in the event of a NC, who will monitor it, how often, and where and how it will be documented. The plan must also include the details of why the measures taken are sufficient to mitigate the risk.

Please note that the FDA can order a facility to cease production when a Food Processing Establishment fails to meet the Food Safety Modernization  Act requirements. also note that the actions taken during a pandemic are extraordinary and not something that we are use to dealing with and any business must comply with the law when it comes to protecting each employee and the community in which it operates.

God bless!

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:54 PM

Good Day Charles,

Based on the information received from the CDC, WHO and other professionals on the matter. It is my understanding that this virus can be transmitted via any available surface (time and space is essential) this may also include the air.

Because the COVID-19 is a new threat any precaution one can take to prevent the spread of the virus is minimal and unfortunately once it has entered the facility any action taken to mitigative the risk may not be enough to protect our personnel, ourselves, our friends and families and anyone that may come into contact with us as we go about our daily lives. 

Unfortunately  is the careless actions of some people that have America currently at more than 200,000 infected individuals.

The food supply is considered essential and therefore it must continue its operations also it is the plant management responsibility to keep all the employees safe at all times. As an auditor one of the first questions I would ask; is how the plant kept all the employees safe during the pandemic and where is the record to prove it (remember if it wasn't documented it did not happened as per the HACCP prerequisite requirements).

God bless and be safe!

Follow up question for all since you make a good point about documenting - if it wasn't documented it didn't happen. What is everyone doing to document additional measures taken? 

We have done the following; 

1. crisis management report (started as a mock but turned into a real one - timing couldn't have been better on that one!)

2. completed a risk assessment (basically documenting everything we are doing to mitigate risk in all areas)

3. a daily sanitation checklist (which is in addition to our normal daily cleaning checklist. 

Thanks!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users