• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:59 PM

Hi Frds

I currently received a NC for 2.3.1. I just started working at a herb and spice powder company that had lil to no documentation

I did a Gap audit and the auditor said there was no evidence of verification and validation of the food safety plan for new products.

I have always looked here for advice so now im asking if i could get some help with this

thank you

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

Your going to need to prove out your new product. Shelf life testing, determine micro limits, what are the common hazards associated with the product in question, do you have mitigation steps for those hazards, same with suppliers (potentially new suppliers for this product), etc. If you do not have this documented then you will need to do so. And to back up a bit, you are going to need to write out a policy describing WHAT you are doing (perhaps some of the above) to verify your product is acceptable, safe and ready for full commercialization. 

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

Sherone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:11 PM

HI

I understand what you saying

i have flow chart for the herb and spices

i guessed i can use my microbial limit obtained from product spec

the suppliers?

either im over thinking or something wrong with my brain

i would like to see an actual process

a template please

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

Well are you processing the herbs and spices into a product, or are you selling them as is? You process is your own and depending on how and what your finished product is that your selling, will depend on what you need. 

If you are just selling herbs and spices then the micro limits are important, you will need to determine all of the other food safety/ quality parameters and will need a create a specification. It would be good to have a one sheet document that has check boxes for everything that you did to "finalized" the product and use that as your record. 

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

Sherone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:16 PM

the herb and spices are received as leaves and we dried, mill and package them

i understand what you are saying

i will compile all requirements in the form of a check sheet and tick as acceptable in order to prepare a actual  record

Sherone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:17 PM

thank you

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:13 AM

Hi Frds

I currently received a NC for 2.3.1. I just started working at a herb and spice powder company that had lil to no documentation

I did a Gap audit and the auditor said there was no evidence of verification and validation of the food safety plan for new products.

I have always looked here for advice so now im asking if i could get some help with this

thank you

Hi Sherone,

I suggest you consult the free Guidance, eg -

What does it mean?
New products and revisions to existing products are generally developed in the food research laboratory or at
best, in pilot scale.  However, commercially produced products are likely to have more process variability than
bench or pilot products.  The supplier must have a procedure in place to ensure the safety of products escalated
from bench/pilot scale production to full commercial production.  This will include a food safety plan for new or
revised products, shelf-life trials and validation, label declarations, allergen cross-contact trials, raw material,
ingredient and packaging trials.
This applies to new products, changes to existing products and introduction of new materials or pack sizes.
This is not a mandatory element as not all facilities are involved in product changes or new product
introductions.  However any SQF certified site that does introduce new products, packages or product revisions
must have a documented procedure in place and implemented.

What do I have to do?
The supplier must describe the methods and people responsible for the process by which new products are converted
into commercial applications.  Methods should include specific procedures required for transition from pilot plants and
test kitchens to full-scale in-plant production.

etc etc

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sherone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:30 PM