Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

Hi everyone my name is Kaif and I am from UK, before asking any question I would like to say thanks to all members, specially Simon for all countless efforts and giving a lovely platform for Food safety enthusiast.

Anybody knows anything about the Hazardous and non Hazardous food contaminant?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:47 PM

Hi everyone my name is Kaif and I am from UK, before asking any question I would like to say thanks to all members, specially Simon for all countless efforts and giving a lovely platform for Food safety enthusiast.

Anybody knows anything about the Hazardous and non Hazardous food contaminant?

Hi kash,

See Pg 40/306 et seq of attachment.

Attached File  Draft Guidance for Industry-FDA hazard analysis,risk-based preventive controls, 01-17-2018-2.pdf   2.17MB   35 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

kash

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:25 PM

Hi Charles thank you very much for your answer. Please let me know what happens when Oxidation destroys the hazardous contaminant by converting them to nonhazardous or less toxic compounds that are stable, less mobile, or inert. such as the use of common oxidizing agents like ozone, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine, etc. Those particles still class as a contaminant?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:02 PM

Hi Charles thank you very much for your answer. Please let me know what happens when Oxidation destroys the hazardous contaminant by converting them to nonhazardous or less toxic compounds that are stable, less mobile, or inert. such as the use of common oxidizing agents like ozone, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine, etc. Those particles still class as a contaminant?

Hi kash,

It depends on what you are referring to, eg -

Mode of Action.

The exact mechanism by which free chlorine destroys microorganisms has not been elucidated. Inactivation by chlorine can result from a number of factors: oxidation of sulfhydryl enzymes and amino acids; ring chlorination of amino acids; loss of intracellular contents; decreased uptake of nutrients; inhibition of protein synthesis; decreased oxygen uptake; oxidation of respiratory components; decreased adenosine triphosphate production; breaks in DNA; and depressed DNA synthesis 329, 347. The actual microbicidal mechanism of chlorine might involve a combination of these factors or the effect of chlorine on critical sites

The most feasible explanation for the antimicrobial action of alcohol is denaturation of proteins. This mechanism is supported by the observation that absolute ethyl alcohol, a dehydrating agent, is less bactericidal than mixtures of alcohol and water because proteins are denatured more quickly in the presence of water 484, 485. Protein denaturation also is consistent with observations that alcohol destroys the dehydrogenases of Escherichia coli 486, and that ethyl alcohol increases the lag phase of Enterobacter aerogenes 487 and that the lag phase effect could be reversed by adding certain amino acids. The bacteriostatic action was believed caused by inhibition of the production of metabolites essential for rapid cell division.

Perhaps you can give a specific example of yr interest ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

What is the product involved? From your wording I feel it's about water treatment? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kash

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

Hi

Thank you all, it was nothing about specific product but just out of curiosity question. According to all information we get we can consider inactive hazard as a harmless contaminant such as denatured protein or dead microbial cell (they can act as a potential antigen), but as per definition contaminants are harmful. Please explain  

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:28 PM

Non-hardous contaminant????  If it is causing contamination, then it needs to be removed!

Example:  pieces of cardboard in food.  Will not cause sickness if ingested and probably would not cause injury.  I assume you would consider this to be hon-hazardous.  However, it is foreign material that is not allowed in food and thus is a contaminant that should not be present.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

Non-hardous contaminant????  If it is causing contamination, then it needs to be removed!

Example:  pieces of cardboard in food.  Will not cause sickness if ingested and probably would not cause injury.  I assume you would consider this to be hon-hazardous.  However, it is foreign material that is not allowed in food and thus is a contaminant that should not be present.

When talking about non-hazardous contaminants, I quickly think of insects in food. They are contaminants, but also a certain amount is allowed to be present per FDA, making them non-hazardous. Apparently you are allowed to have a few insects in some herbs/spices/peppers. 

Just last week a customer complained to us because she saw one bug in our bag of dried chile pepper product and was angry and that we should "recall" all our products. But you can't really initiate a recall in that case. It is not identified as "hazardous".

Everytime we receive such products along with herbs and spices we test for animal/insect filth and use the guide to see how much is "allowed". 

You would be surprised if there was an allowable level of cardboard in your food! 

Edited by The Food Scientist, 01 April 2020 - 08:43 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

Hi

Thank you all, it was nothing about specific product but just out of curiosity question. According to all information we get we can consider inactive hazard as a harmless contaminant such as denatured protein or dead microbial cell (they can act as a potential antigen), but as per definition contaminants are harmful. Please explain  

To my knowledge I never heard of denatured protein being a contaminant? Cooked eggs are considered denatured proteins. Do not know about dead microbial cell though. I do believe it depends on the type of product. hmm I need to do a little research on that!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:15 PM

Indeed the world is full of anomalies if you care to look for them. And have the time.

For example, ex FDA -

Biological hazards include harmful bacteria, viruses or parasites
(e.g., salmonella, hepatitis A and trichinella). Chemical hazards include
compounds that can cause illness or injury due to immediate or long-term
exposure. Physical hazards include foreign objects in food that can cause
harm when eaten, such as glass or metal fragments.

It is important to understand that, for the purposes of HACCP, hazards only
refer to the conditions or contaminants in food that can cause illness or
injury to people. Many conditions are highly undesirable in food, such as
the presence of insects, hair, filth or spoilage. Economic fraud and
violations of regulatory food standards are equally undesirable. All of these
defects must be controlled in food processing. However, they often are not
directly related to the safety of the product. Unless these conditions
directly affect food safety, they are not included in a HACCP plan.

Then again -

https://foodsafetyhe...-contamination/

:whistle:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:16 AM

At least in the USA, if there is an allergen ingredient, such as milk, that is not declared on the label, then the FDA considers this to be an adulterant (not necessarily a contaminant).  The FDA does require the product to be removed from sale and distribution because of the undeclared allergen.

If a hazard is inactive then it no longer is a hazard.  If it is contamination, then it is usually a hazard.  If it is non-hazardous (by whatever defintion you are using), then it is foreign material.  Different countries have different regulations about what levels of foreign material are allowed:  rat hair, insect eggs, etc.

I think we're  spinning words here.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users