• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can anyone explain the main differences between GFSI schemes and which scheme is best?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

MBrown042

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:09 PM

Hi All,

Can anyone explain the main differences between GFSI schemes and which scheme is best. Or maybe there is a link or website that explains the pros and cons between each one.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Hi,

They are all very similar. 

It falls mainly under what your customers require the most and what applies to your processes. 

See this:

https://www.sgs.com/...aper-en-11.ashx

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:55 PM

Hi All,

Can anyone explain the main differences between GFSI schemes and which scheme is best. Or maybe there is a link or website that explains the pros and cons between each on

Hi All,

Can anyone explain the main differences between GFSI schemes and which scheme is best. Or maybe there is a link or website that explains the pros and cons between each one.

Hi

I recently had a call from a prospective development client that asked virtually the same thing and the first thing I asked was if a customer wanted them to become GFSI certified to which they said yes, but the customer told them to pick a GFSI standard and go with it.

Now, I am bias to SQF - however I explained they are all fairly alike, even with a couple of nuances such as.

for us the breakdown works this way -

SQF and BRC - pretty much the same with BRC being a little bit less vague on somethings than SQF and BRC being a bit more complex than SQF, In the early days (ahh, the good old days) most certifications in the US were SQF, as SQF is based in the USA and there was some friction with BRC being British. Both are widely accepted on an earth wide basis, however in asking customers you will find they will lean to BRC on the other side of the pond.

IFS - seven years ago we thought it would be great to add IFS to our consulting business, we did, signed up to be registered and never ever had 1 client that wanted IFS in the states.  However, in other areas of the world it's a hit. We found IFS to be quite strict on infractions by CB's and those certified, good program, a bit complex. 

For the ISO crowd, if  you like ISO's there is FSSC.

GlobalGAP and BAP - for ag and aqua good program, widely accepted.

Sometimes whenn it comes to letting customers steer you on what they want from you you'll find many times they don't really know why they want this one over that one. We have several clients that were told to get BRC certified but accepted SQF just fine with one even saying I really don't know why we wanted BRC, only because I guess we are in France and that is what our office in the UK told us we had to have.

So, pretty much it's SQF all the way -- just kidding, you pick the one that fits the best for your company, process and your customers.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users