• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

We are currently trying to implement FSSC 22000,

We are a Plastic bottle manufacturing company that supply’s bottles to the food industry,

Please could you assist with a jewelry policy template.

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:10 AM

We don't have an independent jewellery policy, however it is including in the staff hygiene policy. Please see attached.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

Depending on your safety policies and risk assessment, you may want to include clothing embellishments, false nails/nail polish and false eyelashes as well. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

We are a Plastic bottle manufacturing company that supply’s bottles to the food industry,

From iso22002-4 (food packaging,2013) -

Attached File  personal hygiene2.png   107.48KB   15 downloads

So choose what you want to do. This will become your Policy.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

rgiuliano137

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:30 PM

we have it listed in our GMPs:

EMPLOYEE GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICES

1.     All employees must wash their hands before starting work, after handling contaminated materials, breaks or lunch periods, and after using washroom facilities and where necessary to minimize microbiological contamination. Employees washing their hands must use the entrance to the processing room where the hand washing station is located. Use hand sanitizer after drying hands

2.     Employees are required to report for work in clean, sanitary clothing and maintain a high degree of personal cleanliness.  When uniforms are supplied, they should be worn and also kept clean.  Storing clothing or other personal items in the production area will not be permitted.  Uniforms should not be worn when eating food or during breaks.

3.     No sleeveless garments are allowed.  No fuzzy clothing will be permitted in the plant.  Open toed shoes, sandals, thongs, clogs and/or moccasins are not allowed in the plant.  Shirts or blouses shall be buttoned, except for the collar button, and shall cover the waist.  Fingernails shall be trimmed and clean.  Use of fingernail polish is prohibited.

4.     All loose or exposed hair shall be contained by a hair net.  Beards and goatees shall be covered by a beard net.  Ear plugs not secured by a cord shall be covered by a hair net.

5.     Jewellery unless specifically authorized shall not be allowed (medical alert tags which can not be removed may be worn but shall be covered.  Rings of any other sort shall not be allowed.  Hair curlers, bobby pins, combs, ribbons, etc, of any kind shall not be worn in the plant.

6.     Any behaviour that could result in contamination of food, such as eating or drinking, use of tobacco, chewing gum, or allergens shall be prohibited in food handling areas.  Any unhygienic practices such as spitting shall not be tolerated.  All eating in the plant is to be confined to the lunchrooms.  Sampling of product as part of a job assignment shall be done within the confines of authorized areas.

7.     All glass containers are prohibited in food handling areas.  Pens, tools, earplugs, cigarettes, etc. shall not be carried in the upper shirt pockets.

8.     Employees must be in a healthy condition when they report to work.  All employees must inform supervisor of any employee suffering from, or known to be carriers of a disease transferable through food.  Employees with sores or boils on hands, arms or face must be cleared by their supervisor before being permitted to work.  Cuts or abrasions must be report to first aid, and must be covered with a secure waterproof covering (glove).

9.     Warehouse employees must monitor incoming shipments and any trucks and trailers for the presence of allergens and report these to senior management before unloading or loading product or packaging.

By signing, I acknowledge that I have received the training provided by my employer and will comply with the requirements as outlined above.  Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action.

Signed:_________________________ Date: ______________Witnessed by:_________________/Title:__________

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:22 AM

Hi Johara,

Simple example derived from SQF -

Jewelry Policy

Jewelry and other loose objects shall not be worn or taken into a product handling or any area where packaging material is exposed.

The  wearing of  plain bands with  no  stones  and  medical  alert bracelets that cannot be removed can be permitted, however the manufacturer will need to consider their customer requirements and the applicable food legislation.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:17 AM

From iso22002-4 (food packaging,2013) -

attachicon.gif personal hygiene2.png

So choose what you want to do. This will become your Policy.

Hi, can i just ask what your system of appropriate control is?

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

Hi, can i just ask what your system of appropriate control is?

Thanks

Hi zoe,

Yes, "appropriate" might cover a range of nuances. :smile:

The most common reported hazards seem to be within the Physical / Biological Categories, eg -

Attached File  control jewelry.PNG   42.67KB   1 downloads

The typical control for above hazards appears to be (a) Removal, (b) Protection. And maybe (c) Policy.(within the Law)

Not sure if a medical bracelet is strictly jewelry ?

Wiki has a long and thoughtful article on this topic -

https://en.wikipedia...Jewelry_hygiene

Edited by Charles.C, 25 May 2020 - 12:33 PM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

Does FSSC have any specific clause defining requirements? Most standards will and is a good starting point for writing the jewellery policy.

3.     No sleeveless garments are allowed.  No fuzzy clothing will be permitted in the plant.  Open toed shoes, sandals, thongs, clogs and/or moccasins are not allowed in the plant.  Shirts or blouses shall be buttoned, except for the collar button, and shall cover the waist.  Fingernails shall be trimmed and clean.  Use of fingernail polish is prohibited.

#

I'm assuming this is also a type of foot wear for which I'm unfamiliar with the name, and not the otherwise known piece of clothing :huh:

Not sure if a medical bracelet is strictly jewelry ?

Definitions will vary between standards/enforcement I suppose, but for interests sake BRC does make reference to "medical alert jewellery" within the clause 7.2.1. and the IG for said clause when mentioning exceptions.

P.s @ Zoe, if I may add a comment on your personal hygiene policy - I myself would want to add a comment to the hand washing bullet to cover any potential for contamination routes not specified i.e. "and after any activity that could cause contamination of the hands", purely to avoid the scenario of people touching the floor, their face etc and not washing hands because they have not specifically been taught to.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

Does FSSC have any specific clause defining requirements? Most standards will and is a good starting point for writing the jewellery policy.

Hi zanorias,

afaik FSSC22000 stipulates to use iso22002-4 (ie Post  4)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

I'm assuming this is also a type of foot wear for which I'm unfamiliar with the name, and not the otherwise known piece of clothing :huh:

Definitions will vary between standards/enforcement I suppose, but for interests sake BRC does make reference to "medical alert jewellery" within the clause 7.2.1. and the IG for said clause when mentioning exceptions.

P.s @ Zoe, if I may add a comment on your personal hygiene policy - I myself would want to add a comment to the hand washing bullet to cover any potential for contamination routes not specified i.e. "and after any activity that could cause contamination of the hands", purely to avoid the scenario of people touching the floor, their face etc and not washing hands because they have not specifically been taught to.

Zanorisas, thongs is flip flops to us!

Also thanks for the recommendation, i am going to update the document now.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

Hi zanorias,

afaik FSSC22000 stipulates to use iso22002-4 (ie Post  4)

Thanks Charles, post 4 makes more sense to me now.

Zanorisas, thongs is flip flops to us!

Also thanks for the recommendation, i am going to update the document now.

Flip flops :lol:  Thanks for clarification. I didn't want to google it to check - certainly not on my work computer :rolleyes:

Edited by zanorias, 25 May 2020 - 12:56 PM.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

The Food Scientist, is he basing his need to wear the necklace on religious grounds? If so it could potentially complicate things. I don't know the ins and outs of where you stand in terms of HR/law over there, though does SQF mention anything on it? BRC or example does potentially allow for exceptions on a religious basis however it does require a risk assessment to be done the jewellery must not pose a risk to product (more difficult of course with beads and pearls).
If you are going down the route to top management it may be worth exploring options i.e. risk assessment first to evidence that there are no sufficient controls to cover the risk (assuming this is the conclusion), and if you can't reasonably explain that to an auditor or a customer with a bead in their product then there's an issue.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users