• Quick Navigation
Photo

Estimated time frame for achieving Organic Certification if already SQF Certified?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

dillybar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

Question.  My beverage facility is SQF Quality Code certified and strives to be in compliance with all FSMA guidelines.  We would like to start running organic products.  I have read the requirements for certification from some certificating bodies.  It appears if you are SQF certified most of what is required is already met.   I am being told from someone at the plant that it would take us 6 months of work to prepare for the certification.  I have a hard time believing that.   Other than preparing SOPs and changing to organic sanitizers, I feel little would need to change but then again I am not an organic expert. Organic ingredients are already sourced and used at another facility who is certified.  What am I missing that would take so long other than getting the certifying body to do the audit?          

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

Are you going 100% organic or will this be an add on into a facility that does non-organic as well?

We develop entire documetation systems and in general I see no reason why it would take that long even if done in-house and it sounds like that is what  you are planning on doing.

Now, your source of information may be including implementation as well because the Auditor is going to want to see some paper trail, thus just like an implementation period for (let's say) SQF of minimum of 3 months that could put you at 6 months.

I think for a traditional organic certification, I'd go ahead and do a rolling development/implementation and get to the on-site inspection for certification in about 3 months, if you cut the implementation down by a month - plan on 60 days to inspection.

As a side note - I've seen a bunch of companies skip the traditional "organic certification" and go with a fast tracked Non-GMO Project certification, unless there is an issue with meeting the 95%.

That could cut down a lot - maybe 30-45days.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

dillybar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:36 PM

We would be running non-organic as well but all organic would be ran after sanitation and before any other product.  Thank you on the information regarding Non-GMO certification.  I never thought about that as an option, is Non-GMO certification a faster process?  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:41 PM

Your welcome - take a look at FoodChain ID (I have no relationship with them) they have their own non-gmo certifcation available and I understand they can fast track it as well.

Yes, a non-gmo certification is faster.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 27 May 2020 - 08:46 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:16 AM

Question.  My beverage facility is SQF Quality Code certified and strives to be in compliance with all FSMA guidelines.  We would like to start running organic products.  I have read the requirements for certification from some certificating bodies.  It appears if you are SQF certified most of what is required is already met.   I am being told from someone at the plant that it would take us 6 months of work to prepare for the certification.  I have a hard time believing that.   Other than preparing SOPs and changing to organic sanitizers, I feel little would need to change but then again I am not an organic expert. Organic ingredients are already sourced and used at another facility who is certified.  What am I missing that would take so long other than getting the certifying body to do the audit?          

Hi dillybar,

"Strives" is a wonderfully flexible terminology.

I deduce you must be also qualified for SQF's Safety-related Manufacturing Code.

Might note that FSMA's own HACCP is not identical to SQF's Codex-based interpretation.

Do you already have a PCQI ?

A published (basic) Gap analysis(es) between SQF(Safety) and FSMA exists. IIRC, the majority of FSMA's requirements are currently matched or exceeded by those of SQF but I don't recollect if 100% (probably not due Murphy's Law :smile: )

It is not unknown for QA (and others) to prefer conservative estimates where their "backs" may be concerned.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:27 PM

SQF doesn't have much to do with organic certification.  Non-GMO certification is another animal as well and NOT the same as organic.  Depending on how fast you can put together your SOP's, gather the required documentation from vendors and suppliers, put the labels together will determine how quickly you can be organic certified.  Keep in mind people need to be trained as well and you need to have all verification records in place as well.  Organic audits do require a mass balance and a traceability to show you are not packaging non-organic into organic.  If you are just starting certifiers may find this difficult since you have no records or little records for organic.  I've had this issue in my past and what the auditor has done is a mass balance and traceability on a conventional product and ingredient.  It worked fine.

If your company is looking to produce organic products then just stick with organic certification.  If your customers want non-GMO certification on top of organic that can be done as well and usually in the same audit by the same certification company.

QAI is one of the largest organic certification companies.  Yes, they want some paper trail, but also how can you provide a paper trail if you can't produce the product without certification?  They understand this as well...so, what do you do?  Call them up and discuss.  Or, whichever certification body you choose.  There are a number of them out there.  I've dealt with 3 different ones, QAI, CCOF, and Oregon Tilth.  QAI is my choice because of the resources they have and the speed in responding to any questions, issues, or changes you may have to make with your organic program or product listings.

FYI...you DO NOT have to switch to an organic compliant sanitizer if you don't wish to.  You can do a water flush on the equipment and/or product purge to provide the separation.  An organic approved sanitizer is nice, but not always the best option depending on how often you run organic in your facility and cost.  Also, be mindful of your water and steam as to what chemicals you may be using to treat water and/or steam (boiler water), including cooling towers and glycol chill water if you have it.  If any of those things potentially come into contact with product or product contact surfaces (steam for cleaning, water, steam for heating product) then the chemicals used in those mediums must be organic approved.  But, as with the sanitizer you can also turn off the chemicals and purge the system to meet compliance.  You just have to have a specific procedure for this and verify it.  At my former plant we used direct steam injection and would turn off the chemical feed for the boilers the day before we ran organic products.  We would test the boiler water before running organic to make sure there were no chemicals.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:08 PM

FYI...you DO NOT have to switch to an organic compliant sanitizer if you don't wish to.  You can do a water flush on the equipment and/or product purge to provide the separation.  An organic approved sanitizer is nice, but not always the best option depending on how often you run organic in your facility and cost.  Also, be mindful of your water and steam as to what chemicals you may be using to treat water and/or steam (boiler water), including cooling towers and glycol chill water if you have it.  If any of those things potentially come into contact with product or product contact surfaces (steam for cleaning, water, steam for heating product) then the chemicals used in those mediums must be organic approved.  But, as with the sanitizer you can also turn off the chemicals and purge the system to meet compliance.  You just have to have a specific procedure for this and verify it.  At my former plant we used direct steam injection and would turn off the chemical feed for the boilers the day before we ran organic products.  We would test the boiler water before running organic to make sure there were no chemicals.

I never thought of that but it totally makes sense! Awesome way to make things simpler in certain cases.

One more consideration as you['re vetting how hard this will be, while SQF only requires one step trace to identify scope of recall, organic cert will require you to do a mass balance trace, which requires you to keep track of where the quantities of raw materials went. If your inventory system doesn't already handle this, that can be the biggest hurdle, esp if you have a lot of unmeasured waste/shrink in your process.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 June 2020 - 03:41 PM

Ryan M.

Excellent summary on organic certification.

Kind Regards,

Susan

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users