• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:25 AM

Hello Together,

I have a quick question regarding nutrition facts label in the USA. 

We are importing Baked Goods from Germany to the USA. The products have an European nutrition label, which is of course not FDA compliant.

Is there a way to transform the European label to the US nutrition facts label easily? 

I already checked some nutrition database calculators, where we couldn't find some ingredients like additives we do have in our products. 

Is there any other way to get an US label except laboratory?

Thank you very much for the help and support.

Best regards,

Cem

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:56 AM

IIRC some of the energy factors are different between the US and EU approaches, but you may be able to calculate these from the component nutrient groups. Carbohydrates may be a bigger challenge, as the EU doesn't have a direct equivalent of the "Total Carbohydrate" field that is I believe is on the FDA nutrition facts panel.

Given that nutritional analysis is usually fairly quick and cheap, for the sake of ensuring you've got the right data I'd simply get them analysed.

Nonetheless it's perhaps worth asking your supplier, as it's possible they will have the data you need.

Thanked by 1 Member:
cem

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:25 PM

This guide will help you and show you all you need to know about US labeling regulations:

https://www.fda.gov/.../81606/download

You can send your baked goods to certified laboratory and you can ask them if they can create labels compliant with US labeling regulations. When I worked outside the US we had a lab to do that for us. 

There are many softwares as well that can help you with that like Recipal and Genesis R&D. 

Hope it helps.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nutrition facts label, Baked goods, label, labeling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users