• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should ALL glass and plastic materials in an area be included in the register, even if they do not pose a direct threat to the product?

Share this

Best Answer , 28 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

We include everything. Others may think that extreme. But I have found Auditors to sometimes (more than a few) have different views than we do on things. Thus, including everything covers that issue.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

rdquality

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:21 PM

Hello, quick question on glass and brittle plastic register. Should ALL glass and plastic materials in an area be included in the register, even if they do not pose a direct threat to the product (e.g., waste bins, security cameras, fire extinguishers, etc.)? Or only those that can affect food safety? Thanks

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

I included all fixtures/utensils/equipment parts presenting potential risk to food safety, even measuring gauges in a pasteurization room and fly light in a maintenance room. That was a CFIA inspector's comment several years ago (before, I had only ceiling light fixtures, windows, etc.) However, neither CFIA inspector nor any auditor ever requested to include surveillance cameras. Question to you: do you have fire extinguishers made of brittle plastic? Interesting - I thought they should be made of metal only... 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:54 PM   Best Answer

We include everything. Others may think that extreme. But I have found Auditors to sometimes (more than a few) have different views than we do on things. Thus, including everything covers that issue.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

rdquality

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:04 PM

I included all fixtures/utensils/equipment parts presenting potential risk to food safety, even measuring gauges in a pasteurization room and fly light in a maintenance room. That was a CFIA inspector's comment several years ago (before, I had only ceiling light fixtures, windows, etc.) However, neither CFIA inspector nor any auditor ever requested to include surveillance cameras. Question to you: do you have fire extinguishers made of brittle plastic? Interesting - I thought they should be made of metal only... 

Hi Olenazh, thanks for your response. Our fire extinguishers are made of metal, but they have plastic on the handle and pressure gauge. This was something one of your auditors mentioned most people forget to include (as well as surveillance cameras, even through they are far from any exposed product/raw materials). 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

Hello, quick question on glass and brittle plastic register. Should ALL glass and plastic materials in an area be included in the register, even if they do not pose a direct threat to the product (e.g., waste bins, security cameras, fire extinguishers, etc.)? Or only those that can affect food safety? Thanks

So what does the Standard request ???

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

What I have done in the past is included everything in open product areas on the register, performed a risk assessment on each piece based on type of material, likelihood of breakage, and likelihood of product contamination in the event of breakage. I then established frequency of checks based off risk.  I would have some items that would get checked weekly/monthly, and other items that would only be checked quarterly or yearly. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

rdquality

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

So what does the Standard request ???

11.7.5.3 All glass objects or similar material in food handling/contact zones shall be listed in a glass register including details of their location.

11.7.5.5 Regular inspections of food handling/contact zones shall be conducted to ensure they are free of glass or other like material and to establish changes to the condition of the objects listed in the glass register.

11.7.5.6 Glass instrument dial covers on processing equipment and MIG thermometers shall be inspected at the start of each shift to confirm they have not been damaged. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:08 PM

11.7.5.3 All glass objects or similar material in food handling/contact zones shall be listed in a glass register including details of their location.

11.7.5.5 Regular inspections of food handling/contact zones shall be conducted to ensure they are free of glass or other like material and to establish changes to the condition of the objects listed in the glass register.

11.7.5.6 Glass instrument dial covers on processing equipment and MIG thermometers shall be inspected at the start of each shift to confirm they have not been damaged. 

Thanks. From a glass POV seems reasonably explicit.

No mention of Plastic but after a quick look at the Guidance I also noticed -

A glass register has been developed;
•  The glass register is complete, and covers all glass located at the site;
•  The glass register includes brittle plastic and other materials;
•  Glass inspections are conducted regularly including instrument dial covers and thermometers;

Seems to answer yr OP.  "other materials"  is presumably up to SQF. Take your pick. Perhaps it means other brittle materials.

A SQF afterthought perhaps.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

We include everything. Even clocks hung up in the production area! It's stressful and time consuming but oh well. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

We include everything. Even clocks hung up in the production area! It's stressful and time consuming but oh well. 

Brittle Plastic- Faced Clocks ? Not so ridiculous.

But "everything" IMO simply defeats the point of the exercise.

For comparison here is BRC's leading Clause -

Glass or other brittle materials shall be excluded or protected against breakage in areas where open products are handled or there is a risk of product contamination.

Followed by -

Procedures for handling glass and other brittle materials (other than product packaging) shall be in place where open products are handled or there is a risk of product contamination. These procedures shall include, at a minimum:
•  a list of items detailing location, number, type and condition
•  recorded checks of the condition of items, carried out at a specified frequency that is based on the level of risk to the product
•  details on cleaning or replacing items to minimise the potential for product contamination.
etc

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

Brittle Plastic- Faced Clocks ? Not so ridiculous.

It was a facility I worked at and I was new so I questioned why those? They told me their previous auditor strongly advised them to do so. So I took that advice with me. 

Edited by The Food Scientist, 28 May 2020 - 02:47 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

As MsMars stated, do a risk assessment to determine which pieces are the hazards.  In my previous life I've differed the inspection frequency based on risk assessment...some items daily, some monthly, some quarterly depending on risk.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

We also include everything. It's about 15 pages of items. The last 3 auditors looked at it and after they skimmed the first few pages moved on. The one thing we have done is made it a daily inspection for all items at the machines in direct proximity to product and a weekly or monthly an most others, all documented with checklists and verifications. Never had an issue

Iowan in Food Safety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

This may be over thinking, but I'm seeing a lot of "everything", and I've heard of people making registers for pens, calculators, clipboards, etc. Does anyone do this?

m.erzetti

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy
  • Interests:Consultant for ISO 9001; ISO 17025; ISO 22000; BRC & IFS. I worked at the University of Perugia in the CERB (Italian Brewing Research Centre) as Quality Manager (ISO 9001 - ISO 17025)

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:40 PM

also the cordless phone and the smartphone if they are used ;-)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users