• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is anybody using fogging systems in their food plant?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Yoloooo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:15 AM

Hello All,

Does anybody is using fogging system in their food plant ?
I am looking for fogging machine that would do the job , and afterwards I wouldn’t have to do rinse. Of course, I would like to use it in the rooms where is food contact surfaces.
Any recommendations?

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:15 AM

Hi, 

I will be following this thread. I recently was informed about fogging in a meeting with out cleaning chemical suppliers, i'd never heard of it before!

The only thing that alarmed me about the idea of fogging was how do you then complete a rinse afterwards? 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:09 PM

Hello All,

Does anybody is using fogging system in their food plant ?
I am looking for fogging machine that would do the job , and afterwards I wouldn’t have to do rinse. Of course, I would like to use it in the rooms where is food contact surfaces.
Any recommendations?

I would contact your chemical company and see what they have. They can also give you advice. One thing with the fog machines - you have to look at how soon after you need people in the room without protective gear. We've had issues in the past when they've used the machine then people have come in a few hours later and some staff had breathing issues.  We use it on Friday nights only since we don't have production on weekends.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

We do pesticide fogging. 

Need to contact the company and get more info.

Some chemicals do not need a rinse step. So it is best to contact your supplier and ask for info on the chemical you will be using (SDS) and any procedures.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Yoloooo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 June 2020 - 01:57 AM

Hi guys , I already did contact so many chemical companies , some of them saying you don’t have rinse off and some of them say you have to , ( using the same chemicals ) .

Oh yes that is true you cannot have people coming into the room for good few your after a fogging.

I am from Europe originally, and that is not issue over there , you can, here is more difficult

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:02 AM

For me it's not what the chemical companies say / what chemicals are used, all chemicals used need a water rinse in my place, i would have thought this standard for most food places?

All food contact surfaces need a potable water rinse. This hasn't come up in BRC yet but we would fail our organic audit if we did not do this.

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:18 PM

We use a fogger in our freezers and follow manufacturer specifications to apply sanitizer at no more than 200ppm.  This then does not require a rinse after use.  Never had issues or compliance issues from any audits with this program. 

If you have Ecolab service that is who we use.

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 June 2020 - 06:19 PM

We fog our coolers and the production areas weekly.  We use a no-rinse quat or peracetic acid solution.  Coolers are done at night when they have been emptied of their contents, and production areas are done over the weekend.  This has worked well for us so far in terms of micro counts and has not posed problems for employee health.

QABrisbane

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

Yes, we do pest fogging. But we dont have a machine inhouse for doing it.

Our pest fogging is done  over the weekend by our pest control provider monthly.

We are currently looking into getting organic certified and our fogging chemicals are posing to be an obstacle in our path atm.

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:38 AM

we are doing  fogging for the surrounding the premises but not production area. 

Ms Salad

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:10 AM

our factory uses fogging treatment after we fail the air quality (environmental) test. Night cleaning team leaves the fogging machine in the affected area, no rinsing afterwards. Chemical is KWIKSAN 22.

So far so good. However we tend not to to all production areas only the areas which fail the air sampler test. Excessive use of fogging treatment can cause mould growing.

Hope it helps.

Bunny

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Good Food, Wine, Beer and other Spirits and of course Pest Control in the food industry.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:02 PM

if used correctly ulv cold fogging of disinfectants is a effective tool in the armory.

There are some formulations that are food safe, it is just a matter of application and don't require rinsing.

if you wished to take the belt and brace approach you could instigate a rinsing after the contact time has been completed.

ULV (ultra low volume) does what it says on the tin, if the product is used and the timings for applications are adhered to then there should be negligible residue and if using food safe products it would be safe to use. The possible reason for breathing difficulties is either over application or basic ignoring advice and entering a treated area too soon.

The droplets are as small as 5 microns and will hang in the air for at least 2 hours.

"If you think it is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Red Adair, American Oil Well Firefighter.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users