• Quick Navigation
Photo

How do other food manufactures handle the issue of work wear during hot periods?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Ballyclover

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:32 AM

Good Morning All.

At the moment operators are allowed to wear their uniforms to and from work. The company recently implemented a new policy of wearing an over jacket on top of the operators uniform to prevent contamination.

While this was all agreed with operators, they are now saying that during hot periods it is not possible to wear the jackets due to the temperature's. Our building is old and no air condition is available. 

I have suggested that if they do not want to wear the jackets then they must not wear their uniform to or from work and change here with disciplinary measures if caught outside.

So with this in mind, I was just wondering how other food manufactures handle the issue of work wear during hot periods?

Thank you

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:07 AM

It's generally far easier to control what is happening to uniforms, how they are cleaned and stored etc, if you keep them on site and have workers change into them having travelled to the factory in their own clothes.

Enforcing a policy where some people are wearing uniform to work because they (theoretically) then put a jacket on, whilst others change at work, seems like it is going to be very difficult - it's almost always simpler to have a single rule for everyone. 

Ballyclover

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

It's generally far easier to control what is happening to uniforms, how they are cleaned and stored etc, if you keep them on site and have workers change into them having travelled to the factory in their own clothes.

Enforcing a policy where some people are wearing uniform to work because they (theoretically) then put a jacket on, whilst others change at work, seems like it is going to be very difficult - it's almost always simpler to have a single rule for everyone. 

Hi

Sorry i should have made clear that this would be on the understanding that it was everyone or no one. There would not be 2 separate rules. However that said the jackets are part of a 20K long term investment that each department agreed to. So i was wondering what food factories would do in such conditions. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:12 PM

Good Morning All.

At the moment operators are allowed to wear their uniforms to and from work. The company recently implemented a new policy of wearing an over jacket on top of the operators uniform to prevent contamination.

While this was all agreed with operators, they are now saying that during hot periods it is not possible to wear the jackets due to the temperature's. Our building is old and no air condition is available. 

I have suggested that if they do not want to wear the jackets then they must not wear their uniform to or from work and change here with disciplinary measures if caught outside.

So with this in mind, I was just wondering how other food manufactures handle the issue of work wear during hot periods?

Thank you

Employees here are not allowed to wear their uniforms to and from work - they are kept here and they change into them and out of them here.

If I understand this correctly, you want employees to wear this jacket over their uniforms they are required to wear to and from work.

What exactly is the "contamination"  the jacket is intended to prevent?

Most food manufacturers improve their ventilation systems, keep all uniforms at the facility and allow their employees to come in in street clothing and change into everything at the facility.

Sounds like a waste of $20,000 to me.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 16 June 2020 - 01:13 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

I can't quite see the point in having "uniforms" at all if they are only worn and seen outside of work, seems to me that the jacket is effectively your uniform and PPE  :blink:  

Why are operators allowed to wear their uniform outside of the facility? Personally, I'd just have PPE dedicated to the production(/storage) areas that are put on and taken off on entry/exit - easy to control. I'm curious to see how you get your current operation through audits.

There are some existing threads about warm weather and clothing that may be of interest to you if you want to consider changes to your PPE:

https://www.ifsqn.co...rts#entry161291

https://www.ifsqn.co...nees/?hl=shorts

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users