• Quick Navigation
Photo

What programs are required for non-food contact corrugate packaging companies?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ral491994

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

Hi All, 

Going for our first SQF audit in December. 

I am struggling to understand how to approve a corrugate packaging. This would be the secondary packaging and have no contact with the food. 

It seems that there a quite a few packaging companies that are not SQF etc audit. However there are some. 

1. What are your must have programs for a 2nd corrugate packaging companies to be an approved supplier?  

I have pest control, GMP program, shipping, receiving, foreign material  programs etc. 

2. If they do not have one of these- this is a risk, i understand. Would you approve them for not having one of these programs? 

Thank you in advance!! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

I am normally pretty darn good at figuring out questions on this board... however, can you please clarify what you are asking about.

If you are asking about the specific requirements of packaging for SQF you need to obtain a copy of the packaging standards manual (free of charge) from www.sqfi.com  - it's all there as to what you are required to comply with along with details on compliance items that would require capital expenses.

May want to consider getting an SQF Consultant to do a pre-development gap analysis as well to determine what needs to done.

Just sayin'

Edited by SQFconsultant, 16 June 2020 - 01:29 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

ral491994

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for your response. 

I am trying to figure out what supplier requirements i should set in place for corrugate or the secondary packaging that is not a GFSI audited company. 

Thank you. 

MlissaB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 20 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:39 PM

Would you limit your approval to an SQF certified supplier? I work for a corrugate supplier which has multiple sites certified to BRC, not SQF. We chose them because at the time we began the journey they were the only ones with a standard that specified packaging with a low hygiene (non-contact) level. It may open your possibilities to state GFSI certified instead of the specific scheme. 

With that said I would be concerned about them missing any of the programs with the exception of the foreign material. We have policies around protecting our product but do not have metal detectors or the like based on risk, we supply secondary or tertiary packaging so it goes through a number of processes after us and if metal detection is a risk at the final packing they would have the metal detector.

We supply many food companies both large and small and have been very successful with our BRC certifications so this approach has passed "muster."

Thanked by 1 Member:

wjmccann3

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

ral491994: I have worked as a SQF Practitioner for a corrugated box plant for 10 years. I have direct and indirect contact packaging. I have the same strategy every year. I treat boxes like food companies treat food. I cover what they cover. I agree with SQF Consultant, grab a packaging assessment, and complete a gap analysis. SQFI has them for free. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users