Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:28 PM

I recently started at a bakery that is opening a new facility.  It is an old Wal-mart that we are gutting and remodeling.  

Prior to my starting, the decision was made to pull out the drop ceilings to reduce the risk of pest harborage.  The ceiling beams are exposed but have been sealed with a white epoxy coating. We have this on our master sanitation schedule to be cleaned by utilizing a scissor lift and vacuum.

The State health department inspector told us that we are required to install a drop ceiling over the areas where we have exposed products. 

The regulation reads:

WALLS AND CEILINGS (257-11-3,4,5,8,9,10)

• Must be light colored, smooth, durable, non-absorbent, sealed and easily cleanable. This requirement also applies to restroom stall partitions.
  • Exposed studs, joists and rafters are prohibited in food preparation and dishwashing areas.

Our ceiling is now sealed, epoxy coated and cleanable.   However, you can see the joist beams.

This is new for me (my background is USDA inspected meat facilities where everything is washdown).

Will we be required to install a drop ceiling?  My concern is that with the location of rooms within the plant a drop ceiling will be very difficult to monitor and clean above.

Does anyone have a similar experience?  How did you address?

Thanks!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:01 PM

Hmmm, I think you will find with some digging down the rabbit hole that the inspector's take on the regulation is incorrect.

What it sounds like  you have is just fine.

Drop ceilings is not what is called for here - you will need to clarify directly with the state (the facility is in) about the drop ceiling - asking them to put this specific requirement into writing for you.

You will find they will not do so as we have found for a client of ours that was told (verbally) the same thing.

Countless bakeries do not have drop ceilings.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:31 PM

I've been in a bakery-type facility with a drop ceiling and it was a pest control nightmare. I'd agree with Glenn on pushing back a bit on this. 

tarakoester

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:38 PM

Thanks guys!   I have been digging.   Would a documented risk assessment to share with the inspector help?  I don't believe my predecessor pushed back with the master sanitation schedule, cleaning frequency - IE - our plan to maintain the ceiling?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

All you need is for the state to put it in writing that you need to install a drop ceiling.  If they do, that's what you need to do - I doubt they will and you use their reply as your waiver.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users