• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:43 PM

Hi,

I work for an Ecommerce company that does 3pl.  Shelf stable closed packaged goods only.

We are developing our HACCP plan, and are new at it.

Currently we only have a single food client, who sells Military MRE's.  They sell them online, and the customer gets a random collection of Entree's in their order.

However; the client has advised they do not have a comprehensive ingredients list for all of their products, because of the varied nature of what can be in each MRE.

Because of the known quantities of allergens that can be in each, we are going to basically treat every MRE as if it is allergen containing. 

However; for our hazard analysis - are we able to be compliant on the product end without a full ingredient listing?  Given that we have the same process no matter the ingredients - because we do not open, repack, etc etc any item we fulfill.

Also, if anyone has a public source for MRE ingredients, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

The maker of the product does not know what is in each package?

Be sure to get that in writing on their letterhead and signed by a key person - hold onto that in your records.

Next - apply all allergens based on big 8 for instance - assuming only shipping in US - otherwise look at what is considered allergens for other destinations.

The maker that does not know what is in their own product is setting themselves up for a gigantic fall.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Rtest123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

The maker of the product does not know what is in each package?

Be sure to get that in writing on their letterhead and signed by a key person - hold onto that in your records.

Next - apply all allergens based on big 8 for instance - assuming only shipping in US - otherwise look at what is considered allergens for other destinations.

The maker that does not know what is in their own product is setting themselves up for a gigantic fall.

They resell Military MRE's, and the contents of each can vary.  Like the beverage mix can be different from one to another, etc.

Because we know that any of them could contain most of the big 8, we are treating them all as allergen containing.

Is it sufficient to have this information in our product description for doing hazard analysis?  Or do we definitely need something signed by them?

Sorry for my repeated neophyte questions.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:59 PM

Get it in writing. They will suffer in business due to ignorance and this way you don't need to be a part of it.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic