• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to deal with an employee with nausea due to Pregnancy?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

Hey Everyone, 

I am a QA Manager for a marinades/ seasoning company and this is my first time dealing with a production employee who is pregnant. She work on a liquid line and comes in close contact. I know that if an employee shows symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting, we send them home. In this case, I know it is because she is pregnant and not because she has a food born illness. Do I keep her or send her home? I told her to leave to the restroom the moment she feel an onset but I feel like I may be placing the food at risk. Can someone help? Thanks! 

Edited by Njaquino, 18 June 2020 - 09:50 PM.

Food Police

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Biology, Stock Market, Hunting, Fishing, Motorcycles, and of course Quality Assurance (food/beverage/nutraceutical/medical device/pharma)

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:29 PM

I think it also may be a safety concern if she is feeling feint a lot and is working out on the production floor. I dont see any real food safety hazards if there is no way bodily fluids can contact food contact surfaces etc. but I personally would want to reassign a pregnant woman to a job thats maybe light duty or not on her feet to prevent any injury from feinting/falling, which COULD result in a food safety issue, an employee injury, or a personal injury lawsuit. If vomitting is a concern, she could wear a face mask while over exposed product.

Food Police

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Biology, Stock Market, Hunting, Fishing, Motorcycles, and of course Quality Assurance (food/beverage/nutraceutical/medical device/pharma)

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:30 PM

Also if she is working with other production workers, make sure they are trained on related procedures as well in case there is an incident when you are not around.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:18 AM

I would suggest a re-assignment within the company.

Check your HR policy as well.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:10 PM

Don't send her home. Our rule is - if they have a doctor's note/health condition for having vomiting/diarrhea - we don't send them home. I would also ask about smells - that may cause an increase of her symptoms. Work with her - if there are different options for her - ask her what she wants to do.

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:34 PM

Thank you all!! I am going to suggest reassigning her or maybe placing a chair next to the line so she isn't on her feet all day. I also want to give her more breaks. As of now she has not expressed that she feel unconformable. 

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:35 PM

I would suggest a re-assignment within the company.

Check your HR policy as well.

Sad part is HR is asking me on what to do....

veruca

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:56 PM

So personal experience this time. I worked while pregnant with nausea. It really sometimes doesn't interfere with day to day working tasks. It just happens. Most doctors will not recommend light duty or other work considerations unless its late term or you have health issues. If she's working on a MOVING line that may increase the nausea. Best bet is to ask her what she's comfortable with. Don't assume what's comfortable or what's a trigger. Have her tell you what works for her. I was miserable if I tried sitting at my desk but felt good on the floor moving and keeping busy a different way. It's a careful line to tread with HR as well so I can see them asking for input. The treatment of pregnant employees can and has become a hot topic sometimes. I wouldn't see any issue with working with food except in the case she knows it can be sudden onset with limited options to get to a restroom or disposal area. No critical area that if she were to leave suddenly it would cause a line crash. 

SafetyP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Safety Systems & Quality
    Art, Music and Beach Therapy

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

Here is a great website that can provide HR information about pregnancy in the workplace. It may not help with food safety concerns, but is definitely worth sharing with your HR team.  

https://www.shrm.org...-Pregnancy.aspx

Best of luck! 

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

Thank you all! Greatly appreciate your input. Thank you for the personal experience. I don't want her to feel like we are pushing her out or anything. In fact, she is doing a great job! I was concerned about an auditor coming in and seeing her running to the restroom. Thank you! 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:16 PM

Thank you all! Greatly appreciate your input. Thank you for the personal experience. I don't want her to feel like we are pushing her out or anything. In fact, she is doing a great job! I was concerned about an auditor coming in and seeing her running to the restroom. Thank you! 

I wouldn't worry about that. If an auditor would see this - tell them it's morning sickness. They'll understand.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:14 PM

I remember we had an employee puking and all and I wanted to send her home, then she told she thinks she is pregnant. I still told her to go home and obviously take a pregnancy test. She came back with a positive test. We reassigned her because she worked on a line that dealt with a lot of dust due to spices/seasonings. So I would go with everyone's suggest to reassign here :)

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users