• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food safety considerations when purchasing cocoa liquor?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

binab2019

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:46 PM

Hi,

We are chocolate manufacturer. We sale our products business to business. We are in processs to receiving bulk  melted chocolate liquor from our supplier. Also our supplier do not melt liquor they are going to use third party to melt liquor and send it to us.

What are controls we need to apply in storage?

When we receive bulk tank what checks need to be perform?

Do we need filters in place in tank If we have filter at further process?

Additional documents  from our supplier and also third party supplier who is melting our product.

Thanks. 

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:00 PM

What are controls we need to apply in storage? This depends on your food safety and food defense hazard analyses and then largely on the questions I ask below

When we receive bulk tank what checks need to be perform? This depends on your food safety and food defense hazard analyses and then largely on the questions I ask below

Do we need filters in place in tank If we have filter at further process? This depends on your food safety and food defense hazard analyses and then largely on the questions I ask below

Additional documents  from our supplier and also third party supplier who is melting our product. Not sure if this is a question, but approved supplier programs and requirements are part of most food safety schemes and standards.

Quite probably, a lot will be required. This will depend on:

• Are you FDA registered and do you fall under current FSMA standards and regulations?
    • If no, STOP and make sure you are exempt (because you probably aren't)
  • Do you have a third party GMP or GFSI scheme that you follow?
  • What is the state of your current Food Safety Plan?

If any of the above are things making you scratch your head because you aren't sure, and you are the one responsible for food safety in your facility, you're next step will be to get consultation or food safety training as soon as possible. At the very least, my guess is you are under the FSMA rules and regs. You can find more info about that on the FDA.gov website and search for Food Safety Modernization Act or check out https://www.fda.gov/...zation-act-fsma

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,796 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:04 AM

Just one well known and well documented hazard with cocoa liquor is Salmonella.  You must make sure this is well controlled by the processing and there is verification testing in place.

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:44 PM

Hi binab 2019,

this is a hard to answer question w/o knowing the whole process.

We are a bakery and receive some truck-loads of chocolate every day. We are focussing on two suppliers but try to understand the whole chain back to the origin (mainly Africa). Where is the origin of your supply? SA? For SA I don't have any experience.

In minimum I would audit the chain to the supplier incl. 3rd party.
But I also visit (no full audit) from time to time the suppliers plants (and plantations) in the origin to better understand the supply chain.  

In some cases blocks are prepared there and transported to Europe and melted. To some extent we are working with cooperative for own sourcing in the origin.

To this generated knowledge over years we have installed a process together with our long term suppliers incl. automatic and statistical sampling (30 x 25 g or 60 x 25g) during loading (-> PCR testing for Salmonella prior unloading).

I know that this is not applicable for everybody but should demonstrate that the risk related to "simple cocoa liquor" is complex.
e.g. Do you are aware on the mineral oil (MOSH/MOAH) topic in the US? In Europe it is a great issue. To solve such problems you have to dive very deep into the process from farm to your plant.

Rgds

moskito

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 June 2020 - 04:04 PM

You mentioned that you are receiving bulk liquid.  This is one of the Key Activity Types listed in the FDA's Intentional Adulteration regulation; therefore, you need to have a procedure to monitor the receiving and storage steps to prevent tampering.  Usually this would involve some kind of a locking device, and you need to monitor that the device is locked and only accessed by authorized personnel.  You will also need to establish a corrective action procedure for what to do if you discover that the device is not in place or that the tank has been accessed improperly.  This needs to be included as part of your Food Defense Plan.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users