• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can I move to another plant with my current BRC certificate in an emergency situation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

SafetyLine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:15 PM

Hello,

Anyone knows if in natural disaster events like earthquake etc or fire in my plant, Can I move to another plant with my current BRC certificate or I need to request a new one for the new temporary installation?

Thank you so much for you help!

Kind regards

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:59 PM

The certificate is specific to the site, so I'd be very doubtful - how would BRC / your cert body know that the new site was of a similar calibre to the old one without auditing it?

I'd suggest discussing with your certification body as to how quickly they may be able to accomplish this, as the interpretation around the requirement to have several months of records prior to audit is obviously slightly different in this situation.
I guess it's a valid question to ask what it is that the BRC certificate does for you?

If it's as much about your customer requirements as it is about an external assessment of your site/systems then one would hope that circumstances of the type you describe would be something about which even the most stringent customers would show a considerable degree of understanding. Nonetheless you may also be able to get some sort of letter/statement from your certification body that could help, even if only to confirm that there is a plan to achieve certification for the temporary site (assuming you're going to be there long enough to make this a worthwhile undertaking).

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:41 PM

Would would not be able to move it to another facility, thus you would need to go thru a new BRC audit at the alternate facility.

The way it works is normally like this - 

1. You inform your CB of the situation and your CB will "suspend" your current BRC cert.

2. You apply for a new BRC audit/new certification at the alternate facility

3. Contact your customers that require notification concerning your certification and tell them what you are doing.

4. Your customers may ask for a standard 3rd party audit be done at the alternate facility as it may take a couple of months to get a certificate at the facility and this way you satisfy the "bridge."

5. Inform your CB of your expected date to be back into your renovated (after the earthquake, fire, etc.) building and ask them to come and do an inspection to reinstate your "suspended" certification.

Easy peasy!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,796 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:10 AM

Hello,

Anyone knows if in natural disaster events like earthquake etc or fire in my plant, Can I move to another plant with my current BRC certificate or I need to request a new one for the new temporary installation?

Thank you so much for you help!

Kind regards

Best thing to do is to talk to your certification body but my gut feel is I doubt it.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emergency, BRC certicate, Fire, earthquake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users