• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

Hi IFSQN Team,

This might be not a very good question but I need you guys advice.

Can you please confirm that I can't declare Black Bean instead of Black Soybeans ( we are using Black Soybeans in the product) on the package's ingredient list.

Is it okay to Declare Black Bean and have a statement  "contains soy". Thank you in advance!

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

Hi Gracezy; No, you cannot declare black beans instead of black soybeans because it would be misleading as it's not the same products. Ingredients listed in the ingredient statement should be named by their common name. In addition, as soy is an allergen, it increases the risk, even if you state Contains Soy. The best way to avoid problems is to follow regulatory requirements. Of course, I'm talking from Canadian regulations viewpoint, but I'm pretty sure they're not very different from US's. 

Gracezy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

Hi Gracezy; No, you cannot declare black beans instead of black soybeans because it would be misleading as it's not the same products. Ingredients listed in the ingredient statement should be named by their common name. In addition, as soy is an allergen, it increases the risk, even if you state Contains Soy. The best way to avoid problems is to follow regulatory requirements. Of course, I'm talking from Canadian regulations viewpoint, but I'm pretty sure they're not very different from US's. 

Thank you very much, Olenazh. That's what I understand too. Now I can confirm it with my boss. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

Hi IFSQN Team,

This might be not a very good question but I need you guys advice.

Can you please confirm that I can't declare Black Bean instead of Black Soybeans ( we are using Black Soybeans in the product) on the package's ingredient list.

Is it okay to Declare Black Bean and have a statement  "contains soy". Thank you in advance!

You need to declare Black Soybeans on the ingredient listing and declare SOY on the allergen line.

You can't say Black Beans, as Black Soybeans are not Black Beans - two different things.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Gracezy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:57 PM

You need to declare Black Soybeans on the ingredient listing and declare SOY on the allergen line.

You can't say Black Beans, as Black Soybeans are not Black Beans - two different things.

Thank you very much, Glenn!

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:56 PM

You have to be CLEAR what the ingredient is. So BLACK SOYBEAN is the right one and not black bean and then contains Soy. The consumer will wonder where is this Soy from... so have to declare the CORRECT ingredient AND allergen . :

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users