• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does anybody have a mitigation plan in case they run out of hair nets?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

EthelT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

Hi everyone,

With everything going on, lack of supply is probably the most daunting challenge we have ever seen. When we ran out of hand sanitizer refills, it was a blessing to be able to just buy a liquid sanitizer and spray bottles. However, this one challenge seems insurmountable. I was recently asked to research action items to address lack of supply of hair nets. Our risk assessment identified it as a low risk since we require everyone to wear one (mostly a requirement from customers). Our policy therefore states everyone will wear hair nets. Does anybody have a mitigation plan in case they run out of hair nets?  I would really like to know. Thanks in advance for your feedback and inputs.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

Actually, it should be a hair restraint - which could be any hair covering (e.g. bandanna) to cover hair completely to prevent hair to fall into a product. So, you could do adjustment to your policy to add any appropriate and available hair restraint. Make sure, a restraint itself does not present a hazard (e.g. loose threads)

EthelT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Olenazh. We may have to re-write our policy for this since we require a hair net over a baseball cap, bandana or toboggan. However there is school of thought why this is not acceptable. With hair net, we replace it daily but with bandanas or hats, we do not always wash it everyday.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 24 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

Well, that would be a problem. Let's see what our experts suggest, this forum has very knowledgeable qa professionals

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 June 2020 - 04:14 PM

I have not seen any lack of supply with hair nets, however I had a client that ran out one day and they went down the street to the local hilton and bought a case of shower caps from them.

Worked in a pinch and they had their cases of hair nets the next day.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 24 June 2020 - 04:15 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:05 AM

We didnt facing hair net shortage but  3 ply disposable face mask during this Covid-19 pandemic.  We provide cloth type filter to workers for temporary measure on this.  

Ethellano

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Solomon Islands
    Solomon Islands

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:36 AM

You can always improvise. Use shower caps as stated above. Or if you are using washable caps, then put in your policy that after each day's shift hair caps/nets are to be washed and ready for use the next day. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

Hi everyone,

With everything going on, lack of supply is probably the most daunting challenge we have ever seen. When we ran out of hand sanitizer refills, it was a blessing to be able to just buy a liquid sanitizer and spray bottles. However, this one challenge seems insurmountable. I was recently asked to research action items to address lack of supply of hair nets. Our risk assessment identified it as a low risk since we require everyone to wear one (mostly a requirement from customers). Our policy therefore states everyone will wear hair nets. Does anybody have a mitigation plan in case they run out of hair nets?  I would really like to know. Thanks in advance for your feedback and inputs.

(I suppose this falls into the Mock Crisis category which hopefully prompts pre-emptive actions).

A generic textbook answer is to risk assess  "options"  and include such activity  in a relevant "Procedure" for the Policy after suitable discussion with Senior Management (shares the Buck).

For example, one "extreme" solution is here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ts/#entry127014

A low risk presumably aligns to an equivalent solution, eg (only) baseball caps happily worn by Male employees IMEX.. A high risk environment would perhaps be rather more problematic. (eg Covid PPE !)

Rewriting of the Policy (and its [hopefully existent] Procedure) is likely to be inevitable IMO.

Carpe diem !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

EthelT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate all of it.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

We shut.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic