• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can we use T-shirts worn from home instead of uniforms?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Mister Mark

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

Would it be possible to stop using uniforms and allow employees to wear t-shirts from home?  I realize we would need to make sure t-shirts have no buttons and have no writing that could "rub off" into product.  I also realize there could be an issue with cleanliness of the shirt.  The reason is our bakery gets extremely warm during the summer.  Our owner may want to use "t-shirts" year round.

Thanks!

Mark

LB Meagher

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:54 PM

Yes, you can use pocket-less t-shirts if they have the same conditions as wearing uniforms.  You must provide employees written laundering instructions [document the date/materials trained], conduct random hygiene checks [documented in your internal audit program], and give employees restrictions on what they can/cannot do in their clothing that wear wear to work [like animal tending, gardening/farming, car repairs, etc.].  It's a much cheaper option that still could meet the intent of the Standard.  Don't forget to provide a risk assessment supporting your decision to wear t-shirts instead of uniforms.

Food Police

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Biology, Stock Market, Hunting, Fishing, Motorcycles, and of course Quality Assurance (food/beverage/nutraceutical/medical device/pharma)

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:11 PM

Why dont you make T-shirts part of the uniform and get the employees t-shirts with the company logo on them?

With bringing clothes from home, you have to make sure their clothes are clean and also if they get soiled at work, you need to be able to have them change into something clean so they arent walking around with soiled clothes. Also, if you have a 3rd party currently doing laundry, they wont be cleaning the street clothes and that could be a problem.

So far, the company I work for has danced around the issue of having our laundry done by a 3rd party, we issue out company t-shirts and pants to our employees and they are responsible for keeping them clean. They can get a replacement if they show their old shirt is worn or messed up by bleach etc. We have a washer/dryer available for employees to use, but no one uses it. They all take their shirts home and wash them.

We have been told by SQF auditors that if we are not having our laundry done by a 3rd party, we need to have a laundry program. What the laundry program would entail, I am not 100% sure but I would imagine it would have to allow cleaning on site (washer/dryer available to employees) and also show that the cleaning method (the type of laundry soap you buy vs the typical dirtiness of the clothes when washing) is effective.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

Since you were providing uniforms already. Just buy the t shirts too and have your employees change into them (as they would have with the uniform) on-site.

That gives you total control on material, quality, specs and the company launders them as well.

There are bunches of issues that we have seen with asking employees to launder their own.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:32 PM

Our staff wears their own clothing to work, but we also provide disposable aprons when working in processing rooms. We are a co-packer and work with low risk RTE snack foods. So it may also depend on your processes and risk. This has never been an issue for us and we are SQF certified. We have it written in our GMP policy which employees are trained on that clothing must be in good condition/clean, no buttons/zippers/pockets/etc. We also completed a clothing risk assessment. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

Our staff wears their own clothing to work, but we also provide disposable aprons when working in processing rooms. We are a co-packer and work with low risk RTE snack foods. So it may also depend on your processes and risk. This has never been an issue for us and we are SQF certified. We have it written in our GMP policy which employees are trained on that clothing must be in good condition/clean, no buttons/zippers/pockets/etc. We also completed a clothing risk assessment. 

Hi AC,

****(red) - It can depend on one's definition of "low risk" but, offhand, I think many sources would regard this as a (3-way) oxymoron.

@ Food Police - A cleaning program requires Verification. Typically Includes micro. swabbing.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ethellano

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Solomon Islands
    Solomon Islands

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:14 PM

You can as long as your laundering policy is properly implemented and employees understand it. Proper checking prior to commencement of work is important. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users