• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:13 AM

Hello everybody 

I am trying to get information about the maximum aceptable level of peroxide values for mechanically separated turkey. Do you know where I can find a reference about this ?

HCFtech

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:42 AM

Its not something you would normally test for in Poultry, are you concerned that there are residual levels as part of processing or that the peroxide levels are due to a fatty diet of the birds whilst alive to give you a peroxide value for shelf life (fatty acids) calculations?

I could only find this link after a quick search: https://thepoultrysi...hallenged-state

Thanked by 2 Members:

El Molino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

Are you using peroxide to sanitize the carcasses at the kill / evisceration stage - check with your local health authority for acceptable residue levels

Gange7191

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:38 AM

Are you using peroxide to sanitize the carcasses at the kill / evisceration stage - check with your local health authority for acceptable residue levels

Well no.  We buy the mechanically separated turkey in boxes. That is our raw material, so what we want to know is the aceptable level of peroxide value to guarantee that our final produt won't present rancidity.

HCFtech

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:37 AM

If its a raw material, I would be more inclined to view the process at the supplier site, for example if you are buying mrm it is common that the rib cage and neck bones will be ground into the meat by the baader (despite what is detailed on the specification) thus it is more relevant to ensure the post EV cleaning of the inside of the carcass is thorough as this is more likely to impact on shelf life than oxidative rancidity from fat. If you are concerned that you are buying a product that shouldn't have ground bone in as detailed on the spec do a calcium test to determine how much bone material is in there, "pure" mrm will have a low calcium content.

I'm guessing that the MRM is imported and thus you have no access to the supplier site, so for me traceability of product from kill detailing times of processing, cooling temperatures post kill, freezing times, post EV micro results would be more important than peroxide value.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Peroxide value

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users