• Quick Navigation
Photo

Brexit no deal preparation, do we need to run down packaging stocks?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

classic

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:08 AM

Hi I'm appealing to the forum for some help

Following on form Covid-19 we are now looking at what we need to do in the event of a no deal Brexit. We are trying to clarify if the original 21 month transition period to allow the EU health mark to be used in UK only after Jan ‘21 to run down existing packaging still applies or not.  Has this been revoked like it appears to with the Organic products now not allowed to use?  We are struggling to find any information on this.  If anyone can point us in the right direction we would be grateful.

Thanks

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:59 AM

Woohoo, Brexit - something to cheer us all up after months of pandemic :happydance:

My understanding is that the proposed 21-month transition period would have ended on 1st Jan 2020, the same as the current 11-month one does. We didn't end up with the 21-month one because the government decided to implode into a bout of infighting, backstabbing, and self-interest*, so we wasted the better part of a year going around in circles and having an election to settle some internal squabbles, and ended up with 11 months from our official leaving date of 31st Jan 2020 instead.

I believe we are therefore theoretically in the period in which packaging stocks etc need to be run down. Latest official position is on the gov.uk site here: https://www.gov.uk/g...es-after-brexit

*In the interest of keeping the forum apolitical, this behaviour was far from unique to any one political party... :rolleyes:

• GMO likes this

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

Hi I'm appealing to the forum for some help

Following on form Covid-19 we are now looking at what we need to do in the event of a no deal Brexit. We are trying to clarify if the original 21 month transition period to allow the EU health mark to be used in UK only after Jan ‘21 to run down existing packaging still applies or not.  Has this been revoked like it appears to with the Organic products now not allowed to use?  We are struggling to find any information on this.  If anyone can point us in the right direction we would be grateful.

Thanks

It does rather feel like Brexit is a stubbed toe to the broken leg of the pandemic but you're right it will soon be upon us and the numpties politicians who fought for this will no doubt find a way to get the Brexit they want.

In the meantime though, the pragmatist in me says that there will be old packaging on the shelves for some time and in the absence of clear guidance on what the new packaging will be, TSOs will not be queuing up at the door to prosecute.  Also what does the government want?  Disruption in supply?  I think that's been well established as "dangerous territory".  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users