• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food safety and regulatory requirements for cream cheese manufacturing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
- - - - -

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

My company is producing frozen deserts and savory products. We want to start producing our own cream cheese as ingredient for a savory sku and I am confused of what food safety and regulatory requirements surrounds this added process. All other raw materials or ingredients are bought from our approved suppliers and only the cream cheese that we will like to process by ourselves.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

As it's a dairy product, you need to comply with Dairy Product Regulation and Food & Drug Act and Regulations Canada on top of other current programs you have. CFIA used to have DEIM (Dairy Establishment Inspection Manual), but now it's just a reference document, since SFCR was issued. As cream cheese is standardized product, you'll need to comply with the standard as well (refer to the above mentioned Regulatory documents) in terms of Fat, Moisture, etc. If you're testing your finished products for micro, don't test cream cheese for TPC as it's useless due to bacterial cultures load. Main bacteria you should concentrate on are Total Coliform, E. Coli and Y&M, and you may test for Listeria m. as well. You'll need to enhance your sanitation and corresponding environment monitoring programs (e.g. equipment, water, air, etc.) as cream cheese is sensitive to micro (but, of course, if it's going through the kill step when added to your finished product, that would reduce the risk of contamination). I don't know your process of making cream cheese - otherwise, I would go further:)

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:46 PM

As olenazh has eluded to there is A LOT involved on the regulatory side for cream cheese production.  I'm more familiar with US regulations around dairy, but Canada is considered equivalent so you will have a rough road ahead to produce cream cheese on your own, even if you do not sell it as "cream cheese".  You still need to follow the same regulatory framework and compliance.

If I were you I would reach out to your local regulatory authority and get some more info.  You may find it is not worthwhile to produce in-house, versus purchasing.  Generally, cream cheese is a low margin product so you may find it is much more costly to produce for yourself than purchase, on top of all the regulatory compliance PITA required.

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

As olenazh has eluded to there is A LOT involved on the regulatory side for cream cheese production.  I'm more familiar with US regulations around dairy, but Canada is considered equivalent so you will have a rough road ahead to produce cream cheese on your own, even if you do not sell it as "cream cheese".  You still need to follow the same regulatory framework and compliance.

If I were you I would reach out to your local regulatory authority and get some more info.  You may find it is not worthwhile to produce in-house, versus purchasing.  Generally, cream cheese is a low margin product so you may find it is much more costly to produce for yourself than purchase, on top of all the regulatory compliance PITA required.

Wow thank you so much.

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

As it's a dairy product, you need to comply with Dairy Product Regulation and Food & Drug Act and Regulations Canada on top of other current programs you have. CFIA used to have DEIM (Dairy Establishment Inspection Manual), but now it's just a reference document, since SFCR was issued. As cream cheese is standardized product, you'll need to comply with the standard as well (refer to the above mentioned Regulatory documents) in terms of Fat, Moisture, etc. If you're testing your finished products for micro, don't test cream cheese for TPC as it's useless due to bacterial cultures load. Main bacteria you should concentrate on are Total Coliform, E. Coli and Y&M, and you may test for Listeria m. as well. You'll need to enhance your sanitation and corresponding environment monitoring programs (e.g. equipment, water, air, etc.) as cream cheese is sensitive to micro (but, of course, if it's going through the kill step when added to your finished product, that would reduce the risk of contamination). I don't know your process of making cream cheese - otherwise, I would go further:)

This is helpful. Thank you so much.

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:32 AM

This is helpful. Thank you so much.

What if we wanted to make but vegan cream cheese with no dairy by product? Do you think it will be better?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

Hah! That's interesting: we've recently started making vegan cream cheese coconut-based. This product doesn't require fermentation and is not standardized, so you'll avoid dairy cream cheese-related problems in this case. However, you should think of your process (e.g. formula, volumes, etc.) and related equipment (e.g. pasteurization & homogenization)

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

Hah! That's interesting: we've recently started making vegan cream cheese coconut-based. This product doesn't require fermentation and is not standardized, so you'll avoid dairy cream cheese-related problems in this case. However, you should think of your process (e.g. formula, volumes, etc.) and related equipment (e.g. pasteurization & homogenization)

Where are you guys located. Are you guys certified under any of the GFSI standard? If yes he we need to talk as it will be better we just buy from your company as we are going this route just because of lack in supply.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

Toronto. If you need our phone number, I'll have to speak to the company owners to get confirmation.

Thanked by 1 Member:

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

Toronto. If you need our phone number, I'll have to speak to the company owners to get confirmation.

That works! we are in Toronto too.

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:33 PM

That works! we are in Toronto too.

Lastly, once you talk with him, I will share our spec for the previous supplier so you can review and see whether its same formulation as we will want same formulation in order that we don't change our present packaging.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

So, you've already had a supplier of vegan cream cheese?

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:41 PM

So, you've already had a supplier of vegan cream cheese?

Yes we did but our volume is high and the plant shutdown during this period hence we are looking for alternative sources or making ours

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

OK, I've already contacted the owner and will get back to you when receive confirmation from him

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:22 PM

Elite Dairy 416-767-4574, Buggy Karkic

egonwie79

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

OK, I've already contacted the owner and will get back to you when receive confirmation from him

Got it and thank you. Will be contacting him.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users