• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do we need to develop a new HACCP Plan for this new product?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hustoskl

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Hi!

I work for a nut roaster who currently roasts, mixes, and packages RTE product. 

We are looking to add a nut butter offering in small plastic jars, a completely new process for us because of the grinding step necessary to make it a butter. This will start on a relatively small scale, and use nuts that we roast in house. At what point would a new product spur a new HACCP plan? It seems like since this is our ingredient just being packaged differently, it could fit into my existing plan (slightly updating the hazard analysis and flow chart), but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Are there any CCP's commonly associated with nut butter production that would be different than normal nut processing? I know the nut butter will be going into the jar at a slightly elevated temperature, so I'm not sure if I need to have a CCP in regards to that. 

Thanks! 

SMT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:57 PM

Since HACCP and FSP are specific to each organization, this question is worth the consideration of your entire FS team, however, given tree nuts are associated to foodborne illness and anaphylaxis that coupled with grinding and jarring being new to your site, if I were in your shoes I would go ahead and work out a new FSP & HACCP for that process. Through the course of your analysis if you find that its not needed then no harm no foul and you have done the work necessary to figure that out.

Processing butter like many other food stuff requires strict adherence to a FSP as even the slightest blip in sanitation, personnel practices, maintenance and all the rest can lead to very serious and/or costly outcomes and a well thought out and challenged FSP can help prevent or at minimum greatly reduce a food processors nightmares. 

Best of luck.

S~

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

Hi!

I work for a nut roaster who currently roasts, mixes, and packages RTE product. 

We are looking to add a nut butter offering in small plastic jars, a completely new process for us because of the grinding step necessary to make it a butter. This will start on a relatively small scale, and use nuts that we roast in house. At what point would a new product spur a new HACCP plan? It seems like since this is our ingredient just being packaged differently, it could fit into my existing plan (slightly updating the hazard analysis and flow chart), but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Are there any CCP's commonly associated with nut butter production that would be different than normal nut processing? I know the nut butter will be going into the jar at a slightly elevated temperature, so I'm not sure if I need to have a CCP in regards to that. 

Thanks! 

Hi Hustoski,

Yr Second question may answer the First.

Different CCPs usually imply a separate haccp plan. CCPs relate to the specific Process.

Also, given that a hazard analysis typically folllows the flowchart, this may well practically dictate yr options unless you adopt a modular type presentation (sectioned flowchart/grouping)..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hustoskl

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:12 PM

Since HACCP and FSP are specific to each organization, this question is worth the consideration of your entire FS team, however, given tree nuts are associated to foodborne illness and anaphylaxis that coupled with grinding and jarring being new to your site, if I were in your shoes I would go ahead and work out a new FSP & HACCP for that process. Through the course of your analysis if you find that its not needed then no harm no foul and you have done the work necessary to figure that out.

Processing butter like many other food stuff requires strict adherence to a FSP as even the slightest blip in sanitation, personnel practices, maintenance and all the rest can lead to very serious and/or costly outcomes and a well thought out and challenged FSP can help prevent or at minimum greatly reduce a food processors nightmares. 

Best of luck.

S~

Thanks! I guess maybe I'm really looking to see if I've overlooked a potential CCP.

We already handle peanuts and all kinds of tree nuts, along with other allergens, so we have a strict control program/sanitation practices/etc. We've also got CCP's/Supplier control in place for mycotoxins and pathogens, and then we do final product testing.

We've got metal detection on all of our lines, and would be adding to the grinding machines as well in case of burrs. 

I could see potentially having to control for heating/cooling of the nut butters, if the grinders are used for a prolonged period of time and continue to heat product as they are grinding. If this is then a CCP, does it need it's own separate plan? 80% of the procedures would overlap with our existing one, this would just be the only product on this FSP with a finished product heat control step.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

The below document is a little old now but is fairly in depth and may offer an insight. It has an example flow & CCP for (peanut)butter at the end

https://www.peanutsu... Final Edit.pdf

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users