Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

Not just SQF but we're SQF so I thought I'd start here...

Does anyone have any experience with attire requirements and what might actually be allowed vs. what is normal best practice.  I've got people asking about wearing long shorts or capris in the plant and I'm having trouble finding where it says they can't.  Further bolstered by an argument of if they have to cover their legs, how come they don't have to cover their arms. 

Any help and guidance on the nuance of that is appreciated. 

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

Long pants for us is employee safety, OSHA etc.  Too many knives and chemical flavorings with potential to spill/fall down.  If you drop a knife it's not gonna land on your arms, but it may land on your legs.  

However, we have enough fans blowing to keep employees cool, and I know this is not possible in every plant.  If there is a legitimate concern for employee safety (heat stroke, excessive dehydration if they're not allowed off the line etc.) then that is a much larger hazard then a dropped knife or some pumpkin spice flavor spilled on your legs.  

EDIT* 

Also with regards to OSHA look here, this sounds much more dangerous then what I described, and they still said it is Managements duty to weigh the risks and make a hard and fast rule as to who is allowed to wear shorts and who is not.

https://www.osha.gov...ns/1997-04-17-0

Edited by Timwoodbag, 21 July 2020 - 01:48 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:46 PM

Check this thread out here: https://www.ifsqn.co...ng-manufacture/

Some good info

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

We don't use any knives or have any spice to spill except at one position, where more clothing is required.   We have 2 fryers and even with exhaust fans that turn the air every 6 minutes and personal fans at each position, floor temperatures have been pushing 95-100° the last couple of weeks.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:05 PM

We don't use any knives or have any spice to spill except at one position, where more clothing is required.   We have 2 fryers and even with exhaust fans that turn the air every 6 minutes and personal fans at each position, floor temperatures have been pushing 95-100° the last couple of weeks.

Long pants will protect legs from burns from your fryers...

-Setanta         

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

We started uniforms, and now nobody needs to ask nor argue about what they can wear.  We all wear the same thing, and go home clean at the end of the day, so everyone hated it at first, but now I think they all quite like it.  It also takes care of worry about buttons, snaps, etc falling into the product.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users