• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the key differences between HACCP and Menu-Safe?

Share this

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Iswarya

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:57 PM

Can anyone explain how a Menu- Safe system is different from HACCP System? I read that the Menu- Safe system is a much more simpler system and is beneficial for catering, restaurants and hospitality sectors. So, what are the key differences between HACCP & Menu-Safe?

Thanks and I would appreciate an elaborate answer as I could not get a clear idea from my Google Search results.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:57 PM

There are a two different programs - Menu-Safe simplified haccp and Safe Food Better Business (SFBB) system that was created for the UK FSA. 

The SFBB is primarily for VERY SMALL food businesses, i.e. street vendors and pop up micro cafes, etc.

More details here:
www.menu-safe.com

As to HACCP - menu-safe does not eliminate Haccp, just simplifies it.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 23 July 2020 - 09:57 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:29 AM

I was unable to download the information brochure on menu-safe website (> NOT FOUND) however if menu-safe is similar to the UK's  SFBB  approach, the latter is IIRC proud of the fact that the acronym CCP  nowhere appears in its implementation text.

( as I recall, the SFBB program was created after the original "simplified" haccp system developed to meet EU requirements was found  insufficiently comprehendable by its target users).

The key difference between SFBB and traditional haccp afaik is that the former utilizes the Principles of haccp but implements them operationally via a relatively simple notebook-based data documentation methodology which avoids "high-tech" language but still enables control equivalent to that achievable from conventional haccp.

The detailed SFBB manuals are freely downloadable.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:49 AM

I was unable to download the information brochure on menu-safe website (> NOT FOUND) however if menu-safe is similar to the UK's  SFBB  approach, the latter is IIRC proud of the fact that the acronym CCP  nowhere appears in its implementation text.

( as I recall, the SFBB program was created after the original "simplified" haccp system developed to meet EU requirements was found  insufficiently comprehendable by its target users).

The key difference between SFBB and traditional haccp afaik is that the former utilizes the Principles of haccp but implements them operationally via a relatively simple notebook-based data documentation methodology which avoids "high-tech" language but still enables control equivalent to that achievable from conventional haccp.

The detailed SFBB manuals are freely downloadable.

Exactly this - Environmental Health departments (UK regulator) push this very hard for small cafes, caterers, independent restaurants etc.

It's pitched at businesses who generally have no-one with real experience of food safety and who might have had one or two people do a basic Food Hygiene course and possibly a basic HACCP course if they're lucky, i.e. broadly at a level of "Food poisoning is bad / having some sort of vaguely systematised approach to prevent this is good".

Link here if useful for the OP: https://www.food.gov...better-business

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users