• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:49 PM

Hi all,

I work for a bakery that wholesales pastries to retail shops ( cafe/ restaurant etc). Mostly all small businesses: pretty much 1 day shelf life on all products, products are more or less sent in food grade cardboard boxes with parchment at the bottom/ sides. Customers receive an invoice with each order, and on the invoice things that contain nuts or that are "gluten friendly ( we dont say gluten free since we have such  high content of airborne wheat particles) are labeled as such. They are also provided when they first begin, with a complete ingredient list of all of our products, and tags that have allergens listed for each product. I had been advised by my HACCP lead/ instructor that  it's ultimately the retail shops' responsibility to inform the customer, but I wanted to run the question by you all of what your interpretation would be of what our responsibility is. I am getting more worried that each item containing nuts should be wrapped and labeled as such ( maybe with a sticker?), but that will significantly increase our pack out time. Any thoughts on the matter? I am not sure since the things we sell are not individually packed/ sealed, but instead sold loose for display in cafe pastry cases (muffins/ cookies etc). Thanks for any advice!

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 25 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

I would think it is BOTH of your responsibilities. You should already have allergen info on the label, AND the retail shop should be responsible on what to sell and what not to sell to those with allergies

I use to work at a similar industry and we did that.

The cafe was still also responsible to sell what to customers with allergies. like a notice sign or something.

Edited by The Food Scientist, 25 July 2020 - 02:27 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

The Food Scientist is right. One of my clients has ice cream cafeteria having ice cream tubs displayed for customers. Those tubs of course have labels with ingredient list and allergen information, but what customer would be reading that, right? So, the cafeteria has signs stating that certain products have allergens, and customers with allergies should refer to the cashiers for further information.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users