• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it mandatory to keep a record of product shipped out of the production line?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Katerine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:35 PM

Hello, 

We are SQF Certified since 2015 and we have keep a record of product that is need to be shipped out of the production line to the customer; however now we are using a Warehouse Management System that keeps tracking of every product electronically. In the past, we were asked by auditors to keep a tracking of products shipped out of the production line and skipping any storage time in the warehouse for traceability purposes. I do not see the need to keep the record/log of products shipped out of the production line now. I would like to know if it is mandatory to keep this record/log or it can be eliminated. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:51 PM

How do you handle tracibility?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Katerine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:42 PM

We have a traceability procedure based on the same Warehouse Management System and it is working very well. We did our annual mock recall last week, one forward - one back, and the result was 100%. 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:24 PM

Hmmm...I'm not sure I understand.  If you have a warehouse management system that traces the product shipped out what exactly was the auditor asking about?  Is he/she asking in regards to tracing back from the shipped out product back to your warehouse, and back to the production line it was produced on?  If so, can you already trace this?

If you are asking about paper records, then that's not necessary if you can show you have adequate record keeping with electronic.  However, what would you do if your warehouse management system goes offline, has a bug, or you lose power and still need to ship product?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:59 AM

Hello, 

We are SQF Certified since 2015 and we have keep a record of product that is need to be shipped out of the production line to the customer; however now we are using a Warehouse Management System that keeps tracking of every product electronically. In the past, we were asked by auditors to keep a tracking of products shipped out of the production line and skipping any storage time in the warehouse for traceability purposes. I do not see the need to keep the record/log of products shipped out of the production line now. I would like to know if it is mandatory to keep this record/log or it can be eliminated. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Katerine,

^^^(red), apologies but I don't understand what this means.

Why does this product not go into storage before proceeding to the customer?

What is the product ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:11 PM

We use Sharpshooter and keep live inventory of all raw materials, WIP and finished goods in 3 different buildings. The software is linked to our computerized accounting software and we have about 300 different pre-loaded reports we can write for nearly any situation. We also have the capability to create new reports if we can't find the one we need (that has NEVER happened). Our live traceability exercise took about 5 minutes. Our mock recalls take about 10 now. Your system should have the capability to write reports based on input information that can show progression from raw to finished. Production records add the "who" to the equation. Dates of entry into the system or transfers will all show up to give a virtual picture of location with time stamps. If that isn't good enough for an auditor he or she must be broken!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users