• Quick Navigation
Photo

Costco GMP audit vs. GFSI - both required?

Share this

Best Answer , 07 August 2020 - 09:09 PM

You have the option to discontinue SQF and have a Costco GMP audit if you don't have any other customers who require some GFSI schemed audit.  However, you would limit yourself to other customers if you do this.  

If you are already GFSI certified Costco only requires a one page addendum which is part of your GFSI audit.  Attached is the Costco addendum from a couple years ago.  Not sure if it is still current, but gives you an idea.

Hello all,

Hoping somebody can help me better understand this...

Does Costco require both a Costco GMP audit and a GFSI audit?  We have been having a GFSI audit (SQF) every year with a Costco addendum, but they are the only customer we have that requires 3rd party certification.  We are most likely staying with SQF since it has helped really change our focus to food safety, but out of curiosity, would we really only need the Costco GMP audit to sell to Costco and not the GFSI scheme?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Marcos77

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

Hello all,

Does Costco require both a Costco GMP audit and a GFSI audit?  We have been having a GFSI audit (SQF) every year with a Costco addendum, but they are the only customer we have that requires 3rd party certification.  We are most likely staying with SQF since it has helped really change our focus to food safety, but out of curiosity, would we really only need the Costco GMP audit to sell to Costco and not the GFSI scheme?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:21 PM

We've been having Costco as a customer for years, and always had GFSI + Addendum. May be, they've changed their manufacturer requirements lately? Anyways, it would totally depend on their requirements, not on this forum peoples' suggestions/advise:)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:46 PM

At a previous company I was at, we had Costco as a customer. You can select either GMP or GFSI with their addendum. Talk to one of the audit CBs. That is what I did to decide which made sense for us. You can find the CBs that work with Costco on the document attached. They can answer your questions more thoroughly. 

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Marcos77

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:48 PM

We've been having Costco as a customer for years, and always had GFSI + Addendum. May be, they've changed their manufacturer requirements lately? Anyways, it would totally depend on their requirements, not on this forum peoples' suggestions/advise:)

I doubt anything has changed and wasn't suggesting that.  I am new to working with Costco.  As a company our relationship with Costco was set up years ago with people who no longer work at our company, so I don't have much insight as to what conversations took place.  Like I said, I was just curious if anyone knew the requirements.  I have seen other posts on this forum about similar topics that seem to imply that it could go either way depending on the company, but they were from many years ago. That's the only reason I saw fit to ask.  Thanks for responding!

Marcos77

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:49 PM

At a previous company I was at, we had Costco as a customer. You can select either GMP or GFSI with their addendum. Talk to one of the audit CBs. That is what I did to decide which made sense for us. You can find the CBs that work with Costco on the document attached. They can answer your questions more thoroughly. 

Thanks!

oigdaym8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

Page 6 of the document that Njaquino shared begins the discussion on the audit types accepted. Njaquino answered as I would have.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:29 PM

I have three SQF clients that sell to Costco - they require an addendum be added just for Costco.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:09 PM   Best Answer

You have the option to discontinue SQF and have a Costco GMP audit if you don't have any other customers who require some GFSI schemed audit.  However, you would limit yourself to other customers if you do this.  

If you are already GFSI certified Costco only requires a one page addendum which is part of your GFSI audit.  Attached is the Costco addendum from a couple years ago.  Not sure if it is still current, but gives you an idea.

Hello all,

Attached Files

Edited by Ryan M., 07 August 2020 - 09:14 PM.

Thanked by 3 Members:

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2022 - 11:52 PM

I found this thread while researching the Costco addendum to an SQF audit. 

Does anyone have experience on whether Costco is likely to allow exceptions for processes that do not have a metal detector or X-ray capability?  We are a maker of sauces, jams, and similar, hot-fill-hold process, with a magnet in line that is placed to aid in metal "dust" removal in raw ingredients in very small amounts, such as tomato paste.  TIA!

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 17 November 2022 - 01:03 PM

I found this thread while researching the Costco addendum to an SQF audit. 

Does anyone have experience on whether Costco is likely to allow exceptions for processes that do not have a metal detector or X-ray capability?  We are a maker of sauces, jams, and similar, hot-fill-hold process, with a magnet in line that is placed to aid in metal "dust" removal in raw ingredients in very small amounts, such as tomato paste.  TIA!

Yes.  You must conduct a risk assessment to show you do not require metal detection or x-ray for your process and products.  I've done this at a number of sites and it generally is accepted without question.  However, be sure you do not have complaints around foreign objects in your products because that is a red flag.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 November 2022 - 01:08 PM

FYI Costco just released an update to their supplier requirements

All manufacturing operations must have a properly installed and calibrated X-ray detection device for
finished product, except in the following circumstances:
● Product texture, density, or chemical composition is such that it limits the performance of
the X-ray technology to an unacceptable level. These operations will be required to have a
metal detector installed as well as a letter from a subject matter expert confirming that Xray
is not applicable.
● Shell Eggs, whole raw agricultural commodities, whole roasted coffee beans, whole muscle
meats, and packaging products will be exempt from the X-ray requirement. The operation
will need to maintain current good manufacturing practices and prerequisite programs to
mitigate foreign material contamination.
● Operations that utilize a physical barrier (e.g. screen, filter, sieve) that's appropriately sized
and placed will be exempt from the X-ray device requirement. The operation will need to
conduct integrity checks at a defined frequency, and maintain current good manufacturing
practices and prerequisite programs to mitigate foreign material contamination.
All X-ray and metal detection devices must have a proper rejection mechanism to segregate rejected
products. Rejected products must be physically controlled and have access restricted until evaluation by
designated personnel can be completed.

etc--------i have not posted the full list from this section

Just received on Tuesday

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

mv11021

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:56 PM

FYI Costco just released an update to their supplier requirements

All manufacturing operations must have a properly installed and calibrated X-ray detection device for
finished product, except in the following circumstances:
● Product texture, density, or chemical composition is such that it limits the performance of
the X-ray technology to an unacceptable level. These operations will be required to have a
metal detector installed as well as a letter from a subject matter expert confirming that Xray
is not applicable.
● Shell Eggs, whole raw agricultural commodities, whole roasted coffee beans, whole muscle
meats, and packaging products will be exempt from the X-ray requirement. The operation
will need to maintain current good manufacturing practices and prerequisite programs to
mitigate foreign material contamination.
● Operations that utilize a physical barrier (e.g. screen, filter, sieve) that's appropriately sized
and placed will be exempt from the X-ray device requirement. The operation will need to
conduct integrity checks at a defined frequency, and maintain current good manufacturing
practices and prerequisite programs to mitigate foreign material contamination.
All X-ray and metal detection devices must have a proper rejection mechanism to segregate rejected
products. Rejected products must be physically controlled and have access restricted until evaluation by
designated personnel can be completed.

etc--------i have not posted the full list from this section

Just received on Tuesday

Could you possibly post the full requirement update? We are not a Costco supplier but consult with them and want to understand the new requirements.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:14 PM

It's a huge document actually so i cannot upload it in it's entirety   Is there something specific you're looking at?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

mv11021

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:47 PM

It's a huge document actually so i cannot upload it in it's entirety   Is there something specific you're looking at?

We want to understand the full scope of the metal detection/x-ray requirement so we can advise customers what is needed for new packaging lines.

Thanks again for your help thus far.

RajaBD

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Soccer (Football), Cricket, Cooking

Posted 08 March 2023 - 04:50 AM

Attached.

Thank you.

Attached Files

RajaBD

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Soccer (Football), Cricket, Cooking

Posted 08 March 2023 - 04:51 AM

Attached.

Attached Files

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2023 - 12:06 PM

We want to understand the full scope of the metal detection/x-ray requirement so we can advise customers what is needed for new packaging lines.

Thanks again for your help thus far.

Go to the link below. That’s all of Costcos food safety files (direct from Costco). It includes their FS audit requirements / standard and checklists they use.

https://www.dropbox....8RhJL-jHUa?dl=0

Others have suggested reaching out to CB’s which is a start, but also know Costco food safety department is really there to help suppliers and you can contact them directly. Their contact info is in that Dropbox folder as well.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: costco, sqf, gfsi, gmp, audit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users