Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Hello, Our facility is SQF Certified for Food Contact packaging. This is our first year of operations and we convert paper products. I am reviewing the SQF code on backflow testing. Our facility does not use water in the manufacturing process. I'm not sure how to go about starting a risk assessment to show that this section of the code is not applicable or very low risk. Has anyone done a risk assessment that I could review in order to start mine?

#2 olenazh

olenazh

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 328 posts
  • 80 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

Simply describe your processes to demonstrate they don't involve water. Based on that, make a conclusion that corresponding section of SQF is not applicable

Thanked by 1 Member:

#3 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 3,083 posts
  • 787 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Truth is like a delicious slice of watermelon... you just want more and more!

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

Hello, Our facility is SQF Certified for Food Contact packaging. This is our first year of operations and we convert paper products. I am reviewing the SQF code on backflow testing. Our facility does not use water in the manufacturing process. I'm not sure how to go about starting a risk assessment to show that this section of the code is not applicable or very low risk. Has anyone done a risk assessment that I could review in order to start mine?

A. where in Module 15 does it show that a "test" is required?

B. I understand you are not using water in the manufacturing process - but do you use water for sanitation?

Kind regards,

Glenn Oster

GOC GROUP / +1.800.793.7042 / Food - Food Packaging - Food Storage/DC

SQF, BRC & IFS System Development, Implementation & Certification Consultants

Serving Small-to-Mid-Size Businesses | We are International - Accepting all major C-Currencies

Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant | SQF, BRC & IFS Pre-Development or Pre-Audit GAP

http://www.GlennOsterConsulting.com  -- 

60% Savings to Ownership/Senior Partners when using C-Currency "XRP" Expires: 04-NOV-20

https://glennosterco...-development-pr

#4 cmthomson

cmthomson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

Hi Glen-We do not use water as part of the process to clean or sanitize our manufacturing equipment. I am referencing Module 13-section  our cleaning and sanitation 13.5.2 Water Quality.

#5 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 3,083 posts
  • 787 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Truth is like a delicious slice of watermelon... you just want more and more!

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

Hi Glen-We do not use water as part of the process to clean or sanitize our manufacturing equipment. I am referencing Module 13-section  our cleaning and sanitation 13.5.2 Water Quality.

My oops, I meant 13 and not 15. 

This is what was written for a client in the packaging field...

13.5.2 - Facility does not use water for manufacturing nor for sanitation and thus the need to prevent back-flow is not applicable.

easy peasy.

Kind regards,

Glenn Oster

GOC GROUP / +1.800.793.7042 / Food - Food Packaging - Food Storage/DC

SQF, BRC & IFS System Development, Implementation & Certification Consultants

Serving Small-to-Mid-Size Businesses | We are International - Accepting all major C-Currencies

Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant | SQF, BRC & IFS Pre-Development or Pre-Audit GAP

http://www.GlennOsterConsulting.com  -- 

60% Savings to Ownership/Senior Partners when using C-Currency "XRP" Expires: 04-NOV-20

https://glennosterco...-development-pr

Thanked by 1 Member:

#6 Hoosiersmoker

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 436 posts
  • 153 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:29 PM

We are also a paperboard packaging manufacturer. What conversions do you undertake? Do you do any printing processes? If so, you likely use water in your process in some form or fashion. Does your local municipality not already require you to have backflow prevention? If you do already have backflow prevention in place, just copy the annual inspection certificate and insert it into your FSM (for ease of audit purposes) and you're in compliance. Our auditor spends 2 seconds on it, sees the cert and moves on. Quick and painless! :shades:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate