Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Hello, Our facility is SQF Certified for Food Contact packaging. This is our first year of operations and we convert paper products. I am reviewing the SQF code on backflow testing. Our facility does not use water in the manufacturing process. I'm not sure how to go about starting a risk assessment to show that this section of the code is not applicable or very low risk. Has anyone done a risk assessment that I could review in order to start mine?

#2 olenazh

olenazh

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 497 posts
  • 156 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

Simply describe your processes to demonstrate they don't involve water. Based on that, make a conclusion that corresponding section of SQF is not applicable

Thanked by 1 Member:

#3 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 3,424 posts
  • 869 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:American Patriot
    WWG1WGA
    Never give up, never give in
    HICKORY, NORTH CAROLINA USA

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

Hello, Our facility is SQF Certified for Food Contact packaging. This is our first year of operations and we convert paper products. I am reviewing the SQF code on backflow testing. Our facility does not use water in the manufacturing process. I'm not sure how to go about starting a risk assessment to show that this section of the code is not applicable or very low risk. Has anyone done a risk assessment that I could review in order to start mine?

A. where in Module 15 does it show that a "test" is required?

B. I understand you are not using water in the manufacturing process - but do you use water for sanitation?

Kind regards,
Glenn Oster

GOC Group | +1.800.793.7042 | Serving the Food, Food Packaging & Food Storage Industries
SQF Development, Implementation, eContinuity & Certification Consultants 

In a nutshell we help small to large businesses to get their act together (as needed), help them to co-develop
entire SQF documentation systems, make recommendations as to installations and repairs in order
to get certified and continue with on-going support thru our popular eConsultant program and we do
all within 30 days so your staff can implement with our assistance to retain and get new business!

Serving the new Republic of the United States of America & Alliance Countries

http://www.GlennOster.com

#4 cmthomson

cmthomson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

Hi Glen-We do not use water as part of the process to clean or sanitize our manufacturing equipment. I am referencing Module 13-section  our cleaning and sanitation 13.5.2 Water Quality.

#5 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 3,424 posts
  • 869 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:American Patriot
    WWG1WGA
    Never give up, never give in
    HICKORY, NORTH CAROLINA USA

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

Hi Glen-We do not use water as part of the process to clean or sanitize our manufacturing equipment. I am referencing Module 13-section  our cleaning and sanitation 13.5.2 Water Quality.

My oops, I meant 13 and not 15. 

This is what was written for a client in the packaging field...

13.5.2 - Facility does not use water for manufacturing nor for sanitation and thus the need to prevent back-flow is not applicable.

easy peasy.

Kind regards,
Glenn Oster

GOC Group | +1.800.793.7042 | Serving the Food, Food Packaging & Food Storage Industries
SQF Development, Implementation, eContinuity & Certification Consultants 

In a nutshell we help small to large businesses to get their act together (as needed), help them to co-develop
entire SQF documentation systems, make recommendations as to installations and repairs in order
to get certified and continue with on-going support thru our popular eConsultant program and we do
all within 30 days so your staff can implement with our assistance to retain and get new business!

Serving the new Republic of the United States of America & Alliance Countries

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

#6 Hoosiersmoker

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 472 posts
  • 170 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:29 PM

We are also a paperboard packaging manufacturer. What conversions do you undertake? Do you do any printing processes? If so, you likely use water in your process in some form or fashion. Does your local municipality not already require you to have backflow prevention? If you do already have backflow prevention in place, just copy the annual inspection certificate and insert it into your FSM (for ease of audit purposes) and you're in compliance. Our auditor spends 2 seconds on it, sees the cert and moves on. Quick and painless! :shades:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users